thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 11 March 2012
  • • 14:00
  • • Liberty Stadium, Swansea
  • Referee: L. Mason
  • • Attendance: 20510

Swansea 1-0 Manchester City: Luke Moore the hero as defeat knocks Mancini's side off Premier League summit

Swansea 1-0 Manchester City: Luke Moore the hero as defeat knocks Mancini's side off Premier League summit

Getty Images

Roberto Mancini's side now trail United by a single point after slumping to a narrow loss at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday

Manchester City surrendered top spot in the Premier League to Manchester United after slumping to a 1-0 defeat at Swansea City.

Luke Moore's strike seven minutes from time secured victory for Brendan Rodgers' side, as Roberto Mancini's men now trail United by a single point.

Joe Hart denied Swansea the lead in the first half after making a save from a tame Scott Sinclair penalty but City lacked their usual control and dynamic play throughout as David Silva and Mario Balotelli failed to spark the visitors into life.


Skulked around the pitch with a face like thunder for much of the game, contributed very little of note and was booked for a petulant late challenge on Rangel.
Swansea's positive play throughout the game was rewarded when Moore rose the highest to head Wayne Routledge’s cross into the net to give the home side the win as Micah Richards had a late effort disallowed for offside.

Swansea settled into the match from the off and started brightly as they moved into their fluid passing game. This early pressure nearly paid off as a good move presented Routledge with a good chance but he hit his shot over the bar.

Swansea were given an early chance to take the lead when Routledge was brought down in the area by Hart and referee Lee Mason pointed to the spot. Sinclair took a stuttered run up before firing a tame penalty which was easily saved by Hart palming the ball away from goal.

Danny Graham continued Swansea's momentum as he found space in the box after turning Stefan Savic, but the striker fired his effort wide.

City were unable to create any meaningful chances in the first-half as the hosts controlled the midfield while Ashley Williams and Steven Caulker marked Balotelli out of the game. The visitors' best efforts came for set-pieces and long-range shots, neither of which troubled Michel Vorm.

Mancini’s side responded to Swansea’s dominance in the first-half by coming out strongly after the interval and threatened immediately through Sergio Aguero who beat his marker before firing a vicious shot at goal which went just wide of the post.

Swansea promptly returned fire and came close to grabbing the lead when Graham fired a ball across the face of goal which eluded his team-mates.

City were incensed when Balotelli was looked to have been fouled inside the area by Joe Allen but referee Mason waved play on, which led to protests from Nigel de Jong and Yaya Toure on the field and Mancini on the touchline.

The visitors were beginning to get a grip on the game with David Silva becoming more involved and it was his ball who found Richards in the area who twisted and turned before shooting a powerful effort at goal which was well saved by Vorm.

Swansea however remained resilient in defence and were rewarded for their play when they took the lead in the 83rd minute when Moore headed Routledge’s cross into the top corner past a stranded Hart following a mistake by Gael Clichy.

Richards thought he had won City a point in the closing stages when he headed the ball into the net as Vorm came and missed Clichy’s cross but as he celebrated, Sian Massey raised her flag to rule the goal out.

Defeat has seen City end their four-game winning run in the league, as well as their reign as Premier League leaders, while Swansea proved why they have no need to fear the drop this season.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!