Both sides go into the Tyne-Wear derby after draws on the opening day, but the Magpies still hold the bragging rights from last year's 5-1 thrashing at St James' Park
Bardsley, Ferdinand, Brown, Richardson
Larsson, Cattermole, Colback, El Mohamady
Simpson, S Taylor, Coloccini, R Taylor
Barton, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez
John O’Shea could make his debut for the Black Cats against their biggest rivals if he recovers in time from a hamstring injury, though Steve Bruce is unlikely to rush his new signing into action. Elsewhere, after a goal-scoring debut against Liverpool last week, Sebastian Larsson is expected to keep his place on the right wing, while 21-year-old Jack Colback also made a good impression at Anfield and may retain his place in the centre of midfield. Asamoah Gyan is likely to be the lone striker, with support coming in the shape of Stephane Sessegnon.
After last week’s impressive defensive display against Arsenal, Alan Pardew is likely to keep the back four settled, with Ryan Taylor deployed at left-back following the sale of Jose Enrique to Liverpool. Meanwhile, Joey Barton looks set to retain his place in the side despite his precarious position at the club, as do the sturdy partnership of Demba Ba and Shola Ameobi in attack.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunderland have only beaten Newcastle twice in 21 matches at home since 1967, with Kieran Richardson’s vicious free kick three seasons ago bringing their only victory against the Magpies at the Stadium of Light.
- Newcastle United have won only three of their last 20 Premier League games.
- This is the 146th match between the two clubs, with Newcastle leading 52 wins to Sunderland’s 46.
- The Magpies’ last victory at the Stadium of Light was in 2006.
- Since the beginning of the Premier League, this fixture has never resulted in a goalless draw.
- The Black Cats have not kept a clean sheet at home since New Year’s Day.
- Newcastle’s Cheick Tiote has never gone more than three matches without a yellow card in the Premier League, and has been booked in each of his last six matches.