thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 31 December 2011
  • • 15:00
  • • Britannia Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
  • Referee: M. Oliver
  • • Attendance: 26595

Stoke City 2-2 Wigan Athletic: Late Watson penalty salvages point after dramatic finish at Britannia Stadium

Stoke City 2-2 Wigan Athletic: Late Watson penalty salvages point after dramatic finish at Britannia Stadium

Getty Images

Roberto Martinez's side edge closer to escaping the relegation zone following the draw, while Tony Pulis' charges end the year in eighth

Ben Watson's penalty three minutes from time secured a dramatic late point for Wigan Athletic at Stoke City.

Victor Moses had given Roberto Martinez's side the lead on the stroke of half-time but a solid response from the hosts after the break, which saw Jonathan Walters and Cameron Jerome net, ended in vain as Watson's equaliser keeps Wigan's hopes of escaping the relegation zone alive.

The first 10 minutes of the game was all about the battle for possession, but it was Wigan that found the most success with their share of the ball as both Jordi Gomez and Hugo Rodallega forced saves out of Thomas Sorensen.

Rodallega again terrorised Stoke’s goal as the striker raced through the hosts' failed offside trap but his lofted effort over Sorensen was cleared by the well-placed Ryan Shawcross.

The Colombia international continued his influence and the striker's persistence assisted Moses for the game's opener after a driven pass across goal was met at the near post by the 21-year-old, who poked the ball past Sorensen.

                             Tight affair | Wigan's Diame tries to shrug off Shawcross

Stoke saw enough of the ball after half-time to get their best chance of the game so far, as Rory Delap launched the ball into the Wigan box from the touchline for Robert Huth to get his head to, but the German could only nod the ball onto the post and into the hands of Al-Habsi.

Stoke eventually took the initiative following Jerome's introduction. A long throw into the area by Delap saw the striker’s header handled on the line by Gary Caldwell. Walters converted the resulting penalty to pull the hosts level.

A break for the Potters moments later saw the ball headed in the path of Jerome who slotted home the ball past Al Habsi and into the far corner.

However, at the other end, Wigan were handed the second penalty of the afternoon and substitute Watson powered the ball past Sorensen to bring the score back to equal terms in a flurry of action.

The draw has left Stoke eighth in the Premier League, while Wigan are in 18th, two points behind QPR.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!