thumbnail Hello,

League Cup

  • 20 September 2011
  • • 19:45
  • • The City Ground, Nottingham
  • Referee: L. Mason
  • • Attendance: 10208

League Cup Round-up: Wolves hammer visiting Millwall as Blackburn defeat Leyton Orient and Newcastle overcome Nottingham Forest in seven-goal thriller

League Cup Round-up: Wolves hammer visiting Millwall as Blackburn defeat Leyton Orient and Newcastle overcome Nottingham Forest in seven-goal thriller

Getty Images

Premier League sides see off the threat of a shock from lower-league opposition and use the opportunity to experiment with their teams

Wolves 5-0 Millwall

Wolves progressed to the League Cup fourth round with a comfortable victory over Championship side Millwall.

It took barely three minutes for the hosts to open the scoring as David Edwards scored from close range when he found the bottom left corner and soon after they were two up as Adam Hammill hit a great free-kick into the top left corner from long range.

Wolves grabbed a third half an hour later as George Elokobi received a pass from Adlene Guedioura and found the bottom left corner with ease from inside the penalty area.

The Premier League side had to wait a while for their fourth, but it did come when James Spray found the net in the 76th minute, getting a pass from Hammill before stroking the ball home.

The hosts completed the rout five minutes from time as Guedioura emphatically found the top right
corner of the goal from outside the area.

Blackburn 3-2 Leyton Orient

Blackburn also managed to reach the next round of the League Cup as they saw off the challenge of League One side Leyton Orient, albeit in not quite as comfortable fashion as Wolves.

Orient held their hosts at 0-0 until just before break, but Terrel Forbes brought down Martin Olsson in the area in the 43rd minute, resulting in a penalty that Jason Roberts duly scored.

The visitors equalised in the 63rd minute as David Mooney fired a shot into the bottom-left corner of the net after George Porter found him and Blackburn knew they were in a game.

However, former Barcelona youngster Ruben Rochina soon restored the hosts’ lead as the Spaniard found the bottom corner with nice finish inside the Orient box.

Five minutes later, Blackburn opened up a two-goal deficit as Simon Vukcevic received a pass from Junior Hoilett before firing a shot past the Orient shot-stopper from the edge of the area.

The visitors weren’t down yet, however, as they grabbed a second goal in the 85th minute through Dean Cox as he slides his finish beyond Mark Bunn in the Rovers net from just outside the area after a pass from Fulham youth-product Elliot Omozusi.

Nottingham Forest 3-4 (AET) Newcastle United

Newcastle were another Premier League side that avoided defeat to lower division competition, but they were given quite a battle by Championship strugglers Nottingham Forest.

The visitors took the lead seven minutes from half-time when Peter Lovenkrands headed in a Sylvain Marveaux cross after Wes Morgan was unable to clear the winger’s delivery.

Forest were level a minute after the break as Robbie Findley managed to get on the end of a long ball before turning and unleashing an unstoppable effort past Rob Elliot in the Newcastle net from 25 yards.

Newcastle restored their lead from the penalty spot after Marveaux was pulled down in the area, allowing Lovenkrands to score from 12 yards despite the best efforts of Lee Camp.

The hosts were once again level soon after Matt Derbyshire rounded Elliot and slotted home coolly following a good pass from Jonathan Greening, a goal that was enough to take the tie to extra time.

The Magpies were ahead for the third time on the night two minutes into extra time when Danny Simpson’s right-wing cross looped over Camp, but the full-back’s effort was soon cancelled out by Marcus Tudgay as he was given an easy finish following a cut-back from Ishmael Miller.

However, despite Forest’s resilience Newcastle grabbed the win in the final minute of stoppage time as Fabricio Coloccini headed in a Gabriel Obertan cross.