thumbnail Hello,

FA Cup

  • 18 February 2012
  • • 15:00
  • • Carrow Road, Norwich, Norfolk
  • Referee: M. Dean
  • • Attendance: 26658

Norwich City 1-2 Leicester City: Visitors cause FA Cup shock as David Nugent nets winner after Wes Hoolahan equaliser

Norwich City 1-2 Leicester City: Visitors cause FA Cup shock as David Nugent nets winner after Wes Hoolahan equaliser

Getty Images

The striker scored a superb second-half goal to send the Foxes through to the quarter-final at the expense of Paul Lambert's side, who could only produce a sloppy display

David Nugent struck the winning goal as Norwich City were dumped out of the FA Cup by Championship side Leicester City at Carrow Road.

Nugent grabbed the winner in the second half after Wes Hoolahan had cancelled out Sean St Ledger's header.

Norwich were sloppy in possession all afternoon and despite having to endure spells of pressure, Leicester will feel they merited at least some share of the result in Norfolk.

Paul Lambert elected to rest Grant Holt, leaving the big striker out of the squad entirely, as Simeon Jackson and Steve Morison started in attack. John Ruddy was also given a breather, with Jed Steer starting in goal.

Matthew Mills and Paul Konchesky were replaced by Tom Kennedy and Wes Morgan in defence for the visitors, with Neil Danns and Ben Marshall also coming into midfield in place of Daniel Drinkwater and Paul Gallagher.

After Morison had spurned an early chance for Norwich, Leicester took a surprise fifth-minute lead. Marshall's corner from the left was met by St Ledger on the edge of the six-yard box, and the former Preston North End defender headed beyond Steer.

For 20 minutes, it was Pearson's side that looked like they belonged in the top flight. Leicester worked the ball well in midfield, with Nugent linking play effectively in attack. Norwich, on the other hand, repeatedly coughed up possession within seconds of winning the ball back, the Carrow Road crowd grew more restless by the minute.

The Canaries were fortunate, then, to level after 23 minutes. Kasper Schmeichel was adjudged to have bundled over Elliott Bennett when challenging for a high ball in the Leicester box and although the former Leeds United goalkeeper saved the resulting penalty from Hoolahan, he could not prevent the Irishman from tapping in the rebound.

From that point, the first half swung in Norwich's favour, but from another Marshall corner Leicester will feel they should have regained their one-goal lead. Steer failed to claim the cross amidst chaos in the penalty area, allowing Morgan to back-heel the loose ball towards goal. Elliott Ward made the block from inside the net but replays indicated the whole ball had crossed the line when it hit the defender.

A Lambert team talk often improves Norwich's fortunes after the break but on this occasion they remained frustratingly sloppy on the ball. Morison, before he was withdrawn for Aaron Wilbraham, was growing increasingly annoyed at the quality of the service coming from the Norwich midfield, and Lambert also opted to introduce James Vaughan in place of Jackson up front.

Having been wrongly denied a second goal in the first half, there was an element of justice to Leicester's second. Norwich had controlled the second half territorially but the Foxes' football, when they had gained possession, had arguably been of a higher quality against their Premier League opponents. The goal was an example of that, as Nugent breezed past Leon Barnett before taking advantage of the space created by an intelligent Beckford run to slot calmly beyond Steer.

Norwich continued to attack but could not find the quality they needed to make the breakthrough. Hoolahan came closest, curling a shot from 20 yards narrowly past the post of Schmeichel, and only St Ledger's superb last-ditch challenge prevented Vaughan from converting a rebound after Wilbraham's shot was saved.

Follow the FA Cup LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!


From the web