thumbnail Hello,

FA Cup

  • 7 January 2012
  • • 15:00
  • • Carrow Road, Norwich, Norfolk
  • Referee: M. Jones
  • • Attendance: 22898

Norwich City 4-1 Burnley: Grant Holt scores before later missing penalty as Canaries cruise into FA Cup Fourth Round

Norwich City 4-1 Burnley: Grant Holt scores before later missing penalty as Canaries cruise into FA Cup Fourth Round

Getty Images

Two goals in each half were enough to send Paul Lambert's team into the next round of the competition as they overcame the challenge of the Championship side

Norwich overcame Burnley 4-1 to reach the Fourth Round of the FA Cup after a frequently frenetic match at Carrow Road.

Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson buried headers in quick succession early in the game before Jay Rodriguez hit back for the visitors after 15 minutes by nodding home from a free-kick.

Holt then missed a penalty later in the first period after Charlie Austin handballed, before a fantastic finish from Andrew Surman and a tap-in for substitute Steve Morison sealed progression for the superior hosts.

With Premier League survival in mind, Paul Lambert rested first-choice goalkeeper John Ruddy and fielded understudy Declan Rudd, with Steve Morison kept on the bench behind Holt and Jackson up front, the Canaries fielding a front six in a diamond formation comprised entirely of players from last season’s Championship charge.

Burnley boss Eddie Howe opted to select all three of his main strikers, with Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin and Martin Paterson all starting with the visitors seemingly looking to go for the jugular.

The visitors started brighter, testing Rudd with three early half-chances, but Norwich took an early lead. Moments after Surman brilliantly robbed Dean Marney and played a one-two with his captain before being having his shot deflected, Holt gave his side a vital corrective advantage. This time it was his turn to be aided by Surman, rising to meet the midfielder’s cross and burying a trademark header.

A counter-attack very shortly afterwards from Norwich then saw a cross from the left by advanced full-back Adam Drury met by Jackson, who nodded home for another goal to add to his recent run of form.

The visitors were not cowed, though, by the early setbacks, and hit back immediately when Rodriguez leapt to head home from a Ross Wallace free-kick curled in left-footed from the right flank, putting the match back in the balance.

After a few minutes of relative calm, Wes Hoolahan did well to chest down a long pass in the box with excellent skill and hold on to it around the edge of the area as he waited for team-mates to join him, before getting it back just outside to aim a shot at Lee Grant with a hint of swerve, though the effort was saved.

On the half-hour, there was shock from the Burnley men as Charlie Austin was judged to have handballed in blocking an Andrew Crofts shot in the area. Inspirational captain Holt stepped up for the resulting penalty but surprised the home fans by dragging it low and wide of the bottom-left corner.

With the Norwich fans in incredible voice, Daniel Ayala made a fantastic challenge to maintain the hosts’ lead. In an increasingly rare break from the right, Austin seemed to have the initiative as he sought to pounce in the area, but the young Spaniard did just enough with a perfectly-timed intervention to allow Declan Rudd to grab the loose ball for Norwich.

Half-time arrived with the hosts beginning to assert their superiority as a Premier League side, Hoolahan particularly starting to shine.

After the break Norwich picked up where they left off and on 55 minutes they somehow spurned a triple chance. The ball broke to Hoolahan in the area but Grant dived well to block his shot. Holt then reached for the rebound but could only find the post before Jackson somewhat laughably contrived to put it wide from the middle of an open goal.

The Canaries finally extended their lead on the hour when Jackson's tussle to control the ball under pressure from Andre Amougou allowed the opportunistic Surman to race into space before dispatching as cool a finish as you could want past Grant.

A double change up front saw Steve Morison and Aaron Wilbraham come on, and the two were involved in Norwich’s fourth. Wilbraham turned to shoot in the area and, after Grant parried that hit, Morison was on hand to poke in one of the easier goals of his career.

Wilbraham then nearly enjoyed a fifth but a weak touch on Fox’s near-post free-kick saw the ball come off the keeper rather than drop in for a simple goal.

Norwich largely cruised through the final minutes as their loud home fans welcomed only the club's seventh FA Cup win in 17 seasons.

Follow the FA Cup LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!