Alan Pardew's side will look to take a healthy lead to the second leg in Kharkiv after improving in the Premier League in recent weeks
Santon, Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haidara
Marveaux, Sissoko, Obertan
Villagra, Gueye, Torsiglieri, Fininho
Marlos, Blanco, Cleiton, Willian
Newcastle head into the game expecting to be without Yoan Gouffran (leg) after he sustained an injury against Tottenham, whilst Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring) and Danny Simpson (toe) will not feature. Dan Gosling (knee) is still out, as are long-term absentees Haris Vuckic and Ryan Taylor (both knee ligament).
Metalist are in the middle of a winter break in the Ukrainian League and have no real injury concerns to worry about.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle have not lost a home game in European competition since their 2005 Intertoto Cup defeat to Deportivo La Coruna
- Metalist have now made it into the round of 32 for the fourth time, their best finish coming last season when they were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Sporting Lisbon.
- The Magpies last faced Ukrainian opposition back in the 2002/03 Champions League, when they beat Dynamo Kiev 2-1 thanks to goals from Gary Speed and Alan Shearer.
- Shola Ameobi (pictured right) has already scored twice in the Europa League this season and can take his European tally up to 15 with a goal in this game.
- Metalist coach Myron Markevich spent six months as the Ukrainian national team coach in 2010 before stepping down to focus on club duties.
- The Ukrainian side possess one of the best defensive records in the competition, they shipped three goals in the group stage, only Bayer Leverkusen and Lazio conceded less.
- Newcastle have already used 26 players in the Europa League this season. They are 11/1 to win the first leg 2-0 with Coral.