thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 13 November 2010
  • • 15:00
  • • St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 44686

Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham: In-form Andy Carroll fails to break resolute resistance from visitors

Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham: In-form Andy Carroll fails to break resolute resistance from visitors

Stalemate at St James' Park with both teams playing it safe

Newcastle United failed to beat a Fulham team who continued their poor away form, with neither squad fully deserving of all three points.

Both teams started brightly, with Newcastle the more positive team. Jose Enrique broke down the left in the second minute, but his ball across the six-yard-box was easily cleared by the Fulham defence.

Danny Guthrie was attacking from the right wing for Newcastle, and his crosses caused trouble for the Fulham defence as he aimed primarily for Andy Carroll, the man aiming for a call-up to the England squad later this week.

Fulham also had good moments in the opening exchanges, with Danny Murphy in particular impressing as he pulled the strings in midfield.

And it was the Cottagers who came closest in the first half hour, with Tim Krul making two good saves in two minutes; first pushing away Zoltan Gera’s shot, then making a great save from Clint Dempsey’s 20-yard curling effort.

But only five minutes later it was Newcastle who almost broke the deadlock.

From a corner, Carroll was left unmarked and after his shot was blocked the rebound dropped to Kevin Nolan, who had his volley blocked expertly by Mark Schwarzer.

Fulham had been the better team in a first half short on chances, with Tim Krul undoubtedly the busier of the two goalkeepers, but Newcastle were also threatening with Andy Carroll in particular holding the ball up well and looking dangerous in the air.

Newcastle started the second half well, with Peter Lovenkrands forcing a good stop from Schwarzer in the opening minute following good build up play from Carroll and Guthrie.

Schwarzer was soon in action again, blocking a powerful effort from Carroll on the volley from the edge of the box with the Fulham defence covering.

Fulham were increasingly on the back foot, with Carroll becoming a key figure for Newcastle and at the centre of every move, while Cheick Tiote was also impressing in the centre of the pitch for the home side, even if his shooting left something to be desired.

Lovenkrands tested Schwarzer again with a header this time, after a good counter-attack, with Newcastle in the ascendancy throughout the early second half.

Moussa Dembele then crashed a volley against the crossbar for Fulham following a flick on from Dickson Etuhu at a corner in the 70th minute.

The match then threatened to turn nasty as Dempsey took offence to a foul from Tiote, with a tete-a-tete that the referee Lee Probert did well to defuse early.

Both teams made substitutions following this, which did nothing but disrupt the flow of play as Newcastle went in search of the winner, with Fulham looking to sneak a goal on the counter-attack.

Great work from Gutierrez on the left wing almost led to a breakthrough in the 85th minute, but Nile Ranger was unable to get any contact on the ball.

With the home crowd becoming increasingly vocal, a cross into the box was met with poor communication from Fulham, and the ball rebounded to Carroll, whose spinning volley bounced inches wide.

But in truth it was a deserved point for Fulham, who defended well and would have stolen all three points but for the thickness of the crossbar.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!