Neither team has lost a single game in the European tournament's group stage, and both find themselves level on eight points after four matches in Group C of the competition
Jones, Ferdinand, Smalling, Evra
Valencia, Fletcher, Carrick, Young
Maxi Pereira, Garay, Luisao, Emerson
Gaitan, Aimar, Cesar
Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney is also thought to have skipped training, which has raised a question mark concerning whether or not the forward will be involved in the tie. However, if fit, the striker should start.
Phil Jones and Fabio should fight for the right-back spot, but the former could clinch it due to his recent performances coupled with the praise he has received from both Sir Alex as well as England boss Fabio Capello.
As far as Benfica are concerned, Ruben Amorim, Bruno Cesar and Nicolas Gaitan are fighting for positions on the flanks, while Oscar Cardozo should receive some support from either Pablo Aimar or Rodrigo.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United have managed to emerge triumphant against Benfica in six of the last eight meetings between the two sides.
- The Red Devils and their opponents have not lost a single game in the group stage of Champions League, and are currently level with eight points each. But Sir Alex Ferguson's charges occupy the top spot due to their superior goal difference.
- The three-time European champions have scored eight goals in four group games. Only Barcelona, Chelsea and Real Madrid have managed to score more goals in their respective fixtures.
- Since 2002, United have only lost to Besiktas and AC Milan at Old Trafford. This means that they have been defeated only twice in 56 games on their own turf.
- Benfica managed to beat United back in 2005 in Lisbon, sending them out of the group stage. At the time, it was the first time in over a decade that the Old Trafford club had bowed out of the group stage of the competition.
- The Portuguese side have been defensively solid in the group stage, conceding only two goals. Marseille and Real Madrid are the only two sides to have shipped fewer.
- The Lisbon-based club are unbeaten in their last four outings away from home in the European competition. In total, they have gone eight games without suffering a loss.