The Gunners boss is looking to build upon his side's Champions League qualifier victory over Udinese with a win away against the unbeaten Premier League champions
Smalling, Ferdinand, Jones, Evra
Nani, Anderson, Cleverley, Young
Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Jenkinson
Walcott, Ramsey, Rosicky, Arshavin
Chamakh, Van Persie
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side will be boosted by hopefully being able to call upon Rio Ferdinand, after the England international limped off injured during the Old Trafford side’s late opening day win at West Brom.
Midfielder Darren Fletcher, who has been called up for Scotland’s Euro 2012 qualifying fixtures against the Czech Republic and Lithuania could find a place on the Red Devils bench after recovering from the virus that sidelined him at the end of last season.
Gunners manager Arsene Wenger will have slightly less pressure upon him after the north Londoners made their way into the Champions League proper with a 3-1 aggregate victory over Italian side Udinese.
Wenger will have to do without the suspended trio of Emmanuel Frimpong, Gervinho and Alex Song and with the recent departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, the Gunners midfield will be stretched during their visit to Old Trafford.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United will look to extend their undefeated home record at Old Trafford, which stretches back to April 2010 when they were beaten by Chelsea.
- Last weekend, during their respective games against Tottenham and Liverpool, the clubs fielded sides with an average age of 23, which were amongst the youngest in the Premier League this season.
- Arsenal claimed victory the last time the two sides came face to face, when they defeated the Red Devils as a result of a second half goal from Aaron Ramsey at the Emirates.
- The Gunners have failed to score on their previous two visits to Old Trafford, in the Premier League and FA Cup, while they have also not claimed all three points since a late Emmanuel Adebayor strike sealed victory for Wenger’s side in September 2006.
- The Arsenal boss will also be looking to kick off their season by claiming their first victory of the campaign after drawing away to Newcastle and suffering a defeat at home to Liverpool last weekend.