thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 10 December 2011
  • • 15:00
  • • Anfield, Liverpool
  • Referee: L. Mason
  • • Attendance: 45016

Liverpool 1-0 QPR: Second-half Luis Suarez header helps hosts end frustrating run of Anfield draws

Liverpool 1-0 QPR: Second-half Luis Suarez header helps hosts end frustrating run of Anfield draws

Getty Images

The Uruguayan ends a run of eight games without a goal to secure all three points at Anfield, despite the best efforts of Radek Cerny in the opposition goalmouth

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez brought his side's disappointing run of Premier League draws at Anfield to an end, as his second-half header earned a 1-0 win over QPR.

In a tight affair in which the home side dominant throughout, QPR goalkeeper Radek Cerny was on top form to give the visitors a chance of securing an away result, only for the 24-year-old to end his scoring drought against Neil Warnock's side.

Liverpool lined up for the R’s first visit to Anfield since February 1996 with Charlie Adam alongside Jordan Henderson in midfield, following the season-ending injury to Brazilian Lucas Leiva, whilst Dirk Kuyt and Suarez lead the line.

QPR took to the field with Jay Bothroyd deployed as a lone striker, and Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jamie Mackie providing support from the flanks.

The first real action of the match came in the 10th minute, as Suarez planted a header straight at Cerny, but the Uruguayan should have done better after finding himself unmarked in the centre of the penalty area.

Chances were at a premium in the opening stages, but Liverpool were dominant on their home turf with the west Londoners finding it difficult to get out of their own half.

Suarez was at the heart of Liverpool’s best moves in the first 20 minutes, roaming around the attacking third before firing in a dangerous ball across the face of goal, but Maxi Rodriguez was unable to get on the end of it.

The former Ajax man had a penalty shout turned down after he was seemingly dragged to floor, before Maxi came close to opening the scoring on the stroke of the half-hour mark, forcing a superb save from Cerny after he got in behind the QPR defence.

It was all Liverpool as half-time approached. Stewart Downing embarked on a fine run down the right wing before sliding Suarez in at a tight angle. He initially attempted to chip the ‘keeper, and then blazed the rebound over the bar.

                   Heading for victory | Suarez's second-half effort secured all three points

Anton Ferdinand landed awkwardly after a challenge in the build-up, and it seemed that the defender would be forced off but he recovered to help his team reach the break on level pegging, as Cerny made another good stop to deny Downing.

QPR were perhaps fortunate to go in at half-time all square, but that fortune didn't last long as Suarez opened the scoring soon after the re-start.

Despite the warning in the first 45, the visitors again left the striker unmarked in the box, allowing him to head home Charlie Adam's cross from six yards for his first goal in eight Premier League games.

And things went from bad to worse for QPR moments later as Ferdinand was forced off with a hamstring injury following a tackle with Adam.

Liverpool were beginning to cut open the QPR defence at will, but Cerny was having a fine game in goal, tipping Maxi's effort from 12 yards onto the post before getting down well to stop a Kuyt volley minutes later.

And he was called into action again to prevent Maxi from adding to the lead, this time making himself big to deny the winger from close range.

QPR hadn't been in the game in an attacking sense, but did begin to exert some pressure as the game wore on, with Joey Barton's cross nearly catching out Pepe Reina - the Spaniard had to be alert as he punched clear from just under his crossbar.

Craig Bellamy, fresh from the substitute's bench, almost added to the Liverpool lead with little over five minutes to go as he whipped a free-kick into the side netting.

With minutes remaining, the away side had a credible penalty appeal turned down as Alejandro Faurlin chested the ball down before Martin Skrtel appeared to kick him in the arm.

However, the ball nearly found its way across the line at the opposite end, as Wright-Phillips sliding clearance hit the crossbar.

The away side continued to assault the Liverpool box, but it was to no avail as they could not find the goal that would earn them a point.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!