thumbnail Hello,

Coppa Italia

  • 12 January 2011
  • • 20:00
  • • Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Milano
  • Referee: N. Pierpaoli
  • • Attendance: 15254

Inter 3-2 Genoa: Samuel Eto'o secures Coppa Italia quarter-final spot for Leonardo

Inter 3-2 Genoa: Samuel Eto'o secures Coppa Italia quarter-final spot for Leonardo

Cameroon striker was in deadly form once again

Inter are through to the next round of Coppa Italia after they beat Genoa 3-2 thanks to a first half brace from Samuel Eto'o and a MacDonald Mariga strike.

Neither team dominated the game in the early stages as clear-cut chances were few and far between. Genoa were trying to pressure Inter in their own half, but with mixed result as the home side looked impressive in possession.

The first goal of the game came from the first real chance of the encounter as Eto'o netted in the 15th minute to open his account in the Coppa Italia. The striker superbly controlled a Sulley Muntari cross, fooled Emiliano Moretti and Domenico Criscito with a neat flick, and finished calmly past Alessio Scarpi.

The goal had a positive effect on Inter's play as Leonardo's men began to tighten the grip in search of a second strike. Eto'o went close with a great shot in the 18th minute, but Scarpi managed to pull off a good save to deny the striker.

Genoa were struggling to create chances, with only Miguel Veloso having a crack at goal near the half-hour mark.

Inter were pretty much in control and were soon to convert their domination into a second goal.

Muntari had a powerful shot miss narrowly in the 42nd minute, and in the following attack, Eto'o completed his brace with another wonderful strike.

The strike came from another mistake by the left side of Genoa's defence where Moretti and Criscito were having a horrible night. Eto'o was picked out by Maicon in the box, neutralised the ex-Valencia defender with a impeccable first touch and slotted home superbly.

Up for the cup | Eto'o celebrates as Inter progress to last eight

Genoa raised their game after the break and managed to claw one back in the 53rd minute through a penalty from Kharja. Inter newboy Andrea Ranocchia was the culprit, as he clipped Gergely Rudolf in a seemingly harmless situation.

Inter's response, however, was quick as Mariga struck with a thunderous header in the top left corner six minutes later, following a corner on the right by Maicon. Genoa woke up after that strike and tried to mount a comeback in the remaining minutes.

Luca Castellazzi was called into action on several occasions to deny Criscito, substitute Rodrigo Palacio and Giandomenico Mesto. A goal finally came just before injury time when Sculli was left with a simple header, following an inch-perfect delivery from Veloso. However, it was too little, too late for Genoa and the game finished 3-2 and Inter went through to the next round.

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!