Veteran Italian coach takes his Irish side to Újpest in Hungary for their last warm-up match before their highly-anticipated Euro 2012 opener against Group C rivals Croatia
Pinter, Juhasz, Vanczak, Korcsmár
Laczko, Varga, Szakaly, Koltai
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
O'Shea, Dunne, St.Ledger, Ward
Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady
Hungary host the Republic of Ireland fresh from an impressive 2-1 away win against Euro 2012 qualifiers Czech Republic last Friday.
QPR midfielder Ájos Buzsáky will miss the game for the hosts as a precaution after suffering an injured knee, his place being taken by 25-year-old Tamás Koltai. Defender Zoltán Lipták will also miss out through injury.
Hungary coach Sándor Egervári is likely to field a number of younger players, with his side looking ahead to the World Cup qualifying matches that begin in September.
Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has a number of injury concerns ahead of his team's final Euro 2012 warm-up match. With their first game of the tournament coming against Croatia just six days after this friendly, the Italian is likely to make a number of changes to his starting XI from the side that beat Bosnia-Herzegovina in Dublin last week.
Hull City defender Paul McShane has replaced Kevin Foley in the final squad, after the Wolves right-back suffered a hamstring injury.
Defenders Darren O’Dea also remains an injury doubt and will require fitness tests before being considered for the Euro 2012 opener in Poznan.
Goalkeeper Shay Given was carrying a knock prior to Ireland’s 1-0 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina, which meant Keiren Westwood stepped in and kept a clean-sheet in his place. However, the Aston Villa shot-stopper is likely to be back in contention.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Hungary are ranked 35th in the world, directly below Slovakia, Turkey and Serbia, and exactly 17 places behind Ireland.
- Of the 10 games they have played against Ireland, they have won four and only lost on two occasions.
- They finished third in their qualifying group for Euro 2012 with 19 points, five points behind Sweden and eight behind the Netherlands.
- In September 2011 the Hungarians achieved their highest ever FIFA ranking of 27th.
- Mainz forward Adam Szalai will be looking to continue his recent good form for the national side, having netted five times from his seven appearances.
- Ireland are currently unbeaten in 11 games, having not lost since the 3-2 reversal at the hands of Russia in October 2010.
- This is only the second time Ireland have qualified for the European Championship, the first occasion being in 1988 in West Germany when they failed to get out of the group stages.
- They begin their Euro 2012 campaign on 10 June against Croatia, before playing Spain and Italy in Group C.
- The last major tournament Ireland have featured in was the 2002 World Cup, when they were knocked out on penalties by Spain in the last 16.
- If Fulham winger Damien Duff (pictured above right) features against Hungary he will make his 97th appearance for his country, and will be in line to make his 100th cap at Euro 2012.
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Goal.com Live Scores!