thumbnail Hello,

Olympics Women

  • 28 July 2012
  • • 17:15
  • • Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (Caerdydd)
  • Referee: Eun-Ah Hong
  • • Attendance: 31141

Team GB Women 3-0 Cameroon: Stoney, Scott and Houghton make it two straight wins for the Brits

Team GB Women 3-0 Cameroon: Stoney, Scott and Houghton make it two straight wins for the Brits

Getty Images

Hope Powell's ladies are through to the quarter-finals after a comfortable second Group A win at the Millennium Stadium, with Ifeoma Dieke's innocuous injury the only low point

Team GB secured the qualification into the knock-out round of the women’s Olympic football tournament with a 3-0 win against Cameroon at the Millennium Stadium.

A rampant first half from Hope Powell's side put the game beyond Cameroon. A close-range effort from Casey Stoney was quickly followed up by a fine finish at the end of a well worked move from Jill Scott to make it 2-0 before half-time. Stephanie Houghton added a late third from the edge of the area to complete a convincing victory.

Great Britain took the lead in the 17th minute through captain Stoney, who ghosted in at the back post from a corner and simply passed the ball over the line to put Team GB firmly in the driving seat.

The second goal came five minutes later after great build-up play from Team GB. Scott latched onto a cheeky backheel by Kim Little and made no mistake with a neat finish past Annette Ngo Ndom in the Cameroon goal.

Team GB continued to mount the pressure on the Cameroon defence and another goal seemed inevitable.

A goal-line clearance by substitute Medoua kept the Africans in it, before Kelly Smith brushed the side netting with a near post shot - just one of a host of chances wasted in quick succession by Hope Powell's side.

Little beat the offside trap moments later but her goal-bound shot was blocked by Ngo Ndom, with the Cameroonian keeper coming to her team's rescue again by deflecting Houghton's header onto the woodwork.

Team GB hit the woodwork once more before the visitors had their best moment of match just before the break when Zouga curled her shot inches wide with Karen Bardsley scrambling across her goal.

Cameroon passed the ball with more confidence in the opening stages of the second half but Team GB's defence remained relatively untroubled.

Powell's side showed very little of the quality on the ball they had in the first half and Cameroon remained a threat, particularly on the counter-attack.

An unfortunate tumble by Team GB's influential defender Ifeoma Dieke cast a dark shadow over proceedings as she was stretchered off the field.

Little forced a fine save from Ngo Ndom in the closing stages before teeing up Houghton to smash one in from the edge of the area with 10 minutes to go.