thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 11 December 2010
  • • 15:00
  • • Goodison Park, Liverpool
  • Referee: M. Oliver
  • • Attendance: 32853

Everton 0-0 Wigan Athletic: Both sides continue to struggle after uninspiring goalless draw

Everton 0-0 Wigan Athletic: Both sides continue to struggle after uninspiring goalless draw

Toffees held after failing to convert chances

Everton were made to rue a host of wasted chances as they were held to a goalless draw by a determined Wigan Athletic side.

The visitors travelled to Goodison Park looking to move out of the Premier League relegation zone, with Everton only two points above the bottom three themselves.

The away side could have overtaken the Merseysiders in the league table with a win but the hosts started brightly with Tim Cahill wasted a great opportunity inside the opening two minutes.

The Australian did well to bring a long ball down on his chest, but scuffed his shot at the goalkeeper from inside the penalty area. 

Everton went close again moments later after Marouane Fellaini failed to hit the target after heading over from a Leighton Baines free-kick.

It was Fellaini again who wasted the chance to open the scoring from another Baines free-kick, he rose at the back post but couldn’t direct his header underneath the crossbar.

Wigan were struggling to impose themselves on the game and on a rare break into the Everton half, Charles N’Zogbia broke and fired a low ball across the face of the goal but with no Wigan shirts in the area, the ball was easily cleared by Everton.

Neither side looked capable of retaining possession and despites their dominance, Everton failed to make their early pressure pay.

Jack Rodwell went close after 30 minutes after a Leighton Baines free-kick was headed across the goal by Sylvain Distin, but his powerful header was tipped over the bar by Ben Watson.

The visitors were desperately defending wave after wave of Everton pressure and the Toffees had them firmly contained well inside their own half.

Despite their pressure Everton had struggled to create any meaningful chances with their best opportunities coming from Leighton Baines set pieces as the referee blew for half time.

Everton began the second half like the first, with a great tempo and urgency to get forward.
Steven Pienaar went close when he unleashed a terrific strike at goal from 30 yards but his effort was tipped around the post by Al Habsi. 

A fantastic passage of intricate passing football then saw Louis Saha backheel to Tim Cahill inside the area, but Cahill’s shot was just wide of the target.

Louis Saha looked certain to score just before the hour mark when he was put through one on one with the goalkeeper but his shot was straight at the 'keeper.

Shortly after Cahill thought he had scored when he rose well at the back post, but his powerful header from Pienaar’s cross came back off the post.

Pienaar then wasted another Everton opportunity as he fired well over the bar with Wigan asking themselves how they were still in the game.

But Everton couldn’t sustain their momentum and the visitors began to look dangerous on the break, as a tense game at Goodison Park entered the final 20 minutes.

Jermaine Beckford had the chance to open the scoring after 85 minutes but the striker miscontrolled the ball on the edge of the Wigan six yard box.

Wigan had an excellent opportunity to steal a win when Ronnie Stam found himself with time and space in the penalty area but hit his shot too straight and it was saved excellently by Tim Howard.

Yet ultimately both sides were unable to break the deadlock and the referee blew for full-time to the frustration of the home crowd.

Indeed Everton had enough chances to win the game but just couldn’t find the all important goal. Wigan, meanwhile, lacked quality throughout the game but their sheer determination not to be beaten earned them a valuable point although they remain in the bottom three.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!