thumbnail Hello,

FA Cup

  • 1 March 2011
  • • 19:30
  • • Goodison Park, Liverpool
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 29976

Everton 0-1 Reading: Matthew Mills nets in shock win as Championship side dump Toffees out of FA Cup

Everton 0-1 Reading: Matthew Mills nets in shock win as Championship side dump Toffees out of FA Cup

Getty Images

Mills strike puts Royals through...

Shop for the latest footy kit

Matthew Mills became the latest FA Cup giant-killing hero as his first-half strike ensured a lacklustre Everton were dumped out of the competition by Reading.

After knocking holders Chelsea out in the previous round with a performance mixed with defensive resilience and attacking verve, David Moyes will be despondent after witnessing such a contrasting display against their Championship opposition.

Moyes's side started the game well and maintained pressure on Reading, but they could not find a way by young keeper Alex McCarthy, as the 21-year-old was protected solidly by his back four, in only his fourth game for the Royals.

But Reading showed Championship steel and hit back with their first chance shortly as winger Jimmy Kebe raced down the right before crossing into the path of top scorer Shane Long, who flicked the ball towards goal and into the grateful arms of Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Reading continued to bite back at every Everton attack and were rewarded in the 26th minute. Ian Harte whipped a ball into the box and Leon Osman's scuffed clearance fell into the path of Mills, who powered the ball home.

Reading should have doubled their lead minutes later, when a mistake by Sylvain Distin allowed Kebe to race away towards goal. But unfortunately for the winger, his strike was saved by Howard.

Everton continued to press forward, but they could not find a way back into the game, which was starting to frustrate the home support inside Goodison Park, who were becoming more and more restless with every misplaced pass.

Everton enjoyed their best chance of the half just before the interval. Leighton Baines whipped in a corner onto the head of Osman, but the midfielder failed to test McCarthy.

Upset | Matt Mills (left) and Zurab Khizanishvili celebrate Reading's winner

Moyes decided to ring the changes at half-time. A disappointing Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, who had been at the brunt of some of the home fans frustrations, along with Seamus Coleman were hauled off and replaced by Victor Anichebe and Jermaine Beckford.

The substitution almost paid dividends for Everton straight away, as Beckford received the ball from Louis Saha just inside the box, but his strike was saved by McCarthy.

Then just a minute later, Everton had another opportunity to go level, as Arteta received the ball outside the box before unleashing a strike that just managed to sail wide.

With 15 minutes left in the game, Reading should have sealed victory when Noel Hunt stretched out and passed the ball directly into the path of Jay Tabb, whose strike was charged down by Phil Neville.

The home side then had a glorious chance to go level when a corner was not dealt with McCarthy, who had raced out from his goal and arrived at the feet of Saha, who turned and struck towards goal, but unfortunately for the Frenchman, his shot cannoned against Beckford and out for a goal kick.

Minutes later McCarthy redeemed himself for his previous blunder. Saha played a cross towards Beckford at the back post. The striker then headed the ball back into the path of the onrushing Osman, but his chance was superbly saved by the Reading goalkeeper.

But Everton's late surge was not enough and Reading now face a quarter-final tie away to either Manchester City or Aston Villa.

Follow the FA Cup LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!