thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 18 September 2010
  • • 15:00
  • • Goodison Park, Liverpool
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 38019

Everton 0-1 Newcastle United: Hatem Ben Arfa's wonder strike earns all three points at Goodison Park

Everton 0-1 Newcastle United: Hatem Ben Arfa's wonder strike earns all three points at Goodison Park

On loan midfielder fires the Magpies home...

Newcastle United's joy at loan signing Hatem Ben Arfa scoring one of the goals of the season will be soured by the fact that goalkeeper Steve Harper was taken off injured on the half hour mark as the Magpies recorded a vital away win against Everton.

The visitors, backed by a vocal and noisy support dominated the first half, starting off the better team as they maintained possession throughout with Wayne Routledge being the first to test the Everton defence as he went through, but could not finish.

The Goodison Park side should have gone ahead when Mikel Arteta floated a ball to Marouane Fellaini. The Belgian headed the ball across for Phil Jagielka, who poked the ball towards the Newcastle goal, but could only watch in agony as Harper claimed well.

Joey Barton was the focal point for Newcastle during the first period as he swung a free kick into the box, but unfortunately for the Magpies Mike Williamson could not finish to put his side ahead.

From there on the game started to become scrappy on the greasy Goodison surface, but it was Chris Hughton’s side that gained control and were unlucky not go ahead as Barton once again was the set up man as he found Carroll, who went close.

Disaster struck for the visitors on the half hour mark as Jermaine Beckford ran in on goal, as Harper raced from his area to clear, he fell awkwardly and had to be taken from the field by a stretcher and replaced by Dutch U21 international Tim Krul.

Barton could have put his side into the lead, minutes before half time, when Tim Howard had a poor clearance, that landed at the feet of the Newcastle midfielder, but his 40 yard effort sailed safely wide of the target, much to the relief of the American international in the home goal.

The Magpies did not let that change affect their performance, as they continued to press forward and were rewarded for their pressure as Ben Arfa received the ball 30 yards from the goal and unleashed one of the strikes of the season to put the St James' Park side one goal to the good, just before the half time whistle. 

David Moyes, wanting to get his side back into the game, decided to make two changes during the half time break as he introduced both Seamus Coleman and Aiyegbeni Yakubu into the game, sacrificing both Tony Hibbert and Beckford to try and get his side on level terms.

The first chance of the second period went to the visitors as Everton gave away possession cheaply, allowing Jose Enrique the chance to cross into the home box, but his pass was cut out by Sylvain Distin and out for a corner.

Everton were then lucky not to concede a penalty as Routledge was felled by Yakubu on the edge of the penalty area, but the resulting free kick from Barton was cleared from danger by the home defence.

The best chance for the Toffees came just before the hour mark as Fellaini headed a high ball down to Leon Osman, who then played the ball to Yakubu, but his tame shot was cleared easily by Krul in the visitor’s goal.

That seemed to help get the home support backing their side, as they pressurised the visitors, gaining a series of corners, but those came to no avail for Everton.

Moyes' men continued to press with Arteta racing down the left hand side and delivering the ball to Osman, but his first shot was blocked and the rebound went harmlessly over from the Toffees midfielder.

With quarter of an hour left on the clock, the visitors were left furious as Kevin Nolan went one-on-one with Howard in the Everton goal, but a tackle from Coleman had the former Bolton midfielder raging as the referee Andre Marriner refused to point to the spot.

The home side continued for the rest of the game to press their opponents, but Newcastle were always dangerous on the break with the home fans becoming frustrated as they watched their side fail to win for the fifth time this season.

Unlike last weekend they failed to make a great escape as Yakubu hit the best chance of the game off the post and into goalkeeper Krul’s grateful hands.

And the final chance came on the final whistle, when Fellaini battered a shot towards the goal, but Newcastle managed to clear and hold onto a precious away victory.

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!