Capital club have fielded weakened teams in the competition so far, unlike their hosts who were boosted by a recent late victory over the visitors' London rivals Fulham
Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Barkley, Neville, Fellaini, Rodwell, Drenthe
Ferreira, Alex, David Luiz, Bertrand
Romeu, McEachran, Meireles
Kalou, Torres, Malouda
Given their lack of squad depth, Everton have thus far fielded strong teams in this competition with backup keeper Jan Mucha being the most notable reserve to feature throughout.
Impressive youngster Ross Barkley is likely to be given more time to aid his development in the Toffees’ midfield, hoping to provide ammo for a lone striker, most probably Louis Saha.
Andre Villas-Boas has the suspensions of three players - Didier Drogba, Ashley Cole and Jose Bosingwa – to consider ahead of this tie but can now select Fernando Torres after the Spaniard completed his three-match ban.
Chelsea picked a weakened side in their previous League Cup tie this season and may well do the same in order to give their youth prospects some vital minutes at Goodison Park.
Former Barcelona starlet Oriol Romeu could start alongside highly rated England under-21 midfielder Josh McEachran in an inexperienced Chelsea outfit.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea and Everton faced each other just two weeks ago at Stamford Bridge with the Londoners running out 3-1 winners on that occasion.
- These two sides met in domestic knockout competition last season as Everton dumped Chelsea out of the FA Cup on penalties in the fourth round.
- The last time the two sides faced each other in the League Cup, Chelsea secured a 3-1 aggregate win in the semi-final of the 2007-08 edition of the competition.
- Everton have never won a League Cup match against Chelsea in seven attempts, drawing two and losing five.
- Everton have never won this trophy, finishing as runner-up on two occasions.
- Chelsea have also lost in two League Cup finals but have lifted the trophy four times.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.