thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 10 March 2012
  • • 12:45
  • • Macron Stadium, Bolton
  • Referee: M. Atkinson
  • • Attendance: 21551

Bolton 2-1 QPR: Klasnic grabs priceless late winner for strugglers as visitors rue disallowed Hill header

Bolton 2-1 QPR: Klasnic grabs priceless late winner for strugglers as visitors rue disallowed Hill header

The Croatian international strikes as the Trotters grab all three points in a vital Premier League win which moves them out of the bottom three

Substitute Ivan Klasnic gave Bolton a vital but controversial 2-1 win over relegation rivals QPR with a late goal at the Reebok Stadium.

Clint Hill had earlier had a goal disallowed when his header clearly crossed the line, but it wasn’t given, and Bolton then took the lead through Darren Pratley before Djibril Cisse equalised early in the second half.

However, the Croatian’s late strike gave Bolton the win and with it a a real boost for the Trotters, as they pick up their first points in five games, while QPR are now without a win in six in the league.

Owen Coyle made one change as Martin Petrov returned to the Bolton starting line up, replacing Zat Knight who started at Manchester City last weekend, while fit-again captain Kevin Davies made the bench.

Mark Hughes brought back Djibril Cisse and Samba Diakite for QPR after suspension, with Akos Buzsaky dropped to the bench, while Adel Taarabt missed out with a hamstring problem.

Bolton started the brighter of the two sides, but no real chances were created in the opening 10 minutes as both sides tried to settle into a hugely important game.

Ryo Miyachi looked lively early on for Bolton, and won a corner for the hosts after linking up well with Nigel Reo-Coker. David Wheater’s header from Miyaichi’s delivery was then cleared off the line by Bobby Zamora.

QPR immediately had a chance of their own as the ball fell to Shaun Wright-Phillips inside the box, and he laid it off to Joey Barton whose side-footed effort was deflected wide off Sam Ricketts.

Cisse played a delightful chip to Zamora on 17 minutes, and the England striker unleashed a fierce left-foot volley which crashed against Adam Bogdan’s crossbar.

Then two minutes later came the big talking point. Cisse won a corner for Rangers, and Hill’s header clearly crossed the line before Bogdan pushed the ball up on to the bar and back out, but the goal wasn’t given and the scores remained level.

Pratley, earlier booked for a challenge on Diakite, then had an effort for Bolton from outside the box which deflected off Hill and looped just wide of Paddy Kenny’s goal.

Wheater earned himself a booking on half an hour when he cynically pulled back Cisse after the France international produced some fine skill just inside the Bolton half.

The home side then took the lead on 36 minutes after a well-worked free-kick found its way to Tim Ream, who lifted the ball into the box and Pratley was there unmarked to head in from close range.

Wright-Phillips had a chance to draw the visitors level immediately, but he couldn’t keep his angled shot down and it flew well over.

QPR almost levelled on the stroke of half-time, when a good spell of possession led to a chance for Nedum Onouha on the right-hand side of the box, but Bogdan saved low with his feet.

Rangers got back on level terms right after half-time, when Cisse found himself in space from Wright-Phillips’ deflected pass and he slotted home a cool finish with the outside of his right boot, despite replays showing the striker was offside.

There were few openings early in the second half as QPR’s defence looked solid. Sam Ricketts whipped in a cross from the left but Kenny claimed authoritatively to deny David Ngog.

Cisse had a half-chance just before the hour but his low shot was from a tight angle and Bogdan easily saved.

Straight up the other end Ricketts found a rare bit of space outside the QPR box, and attempted a curling shot which drifted over.

QPR then had an opening after Barton caught Ream in possession, but Wheater was there to block the captain’s pass towards Cisse.

Mark Hughes’ side continued to put the pressure on Bolton, but were unable to fashion any chances from two successive corners.

Cisse produced a superb whipped cross into the area, but the ball just eluded strike partner Zamora’s head and Bolton were able to clear their lines.

Both sides had free-kicks in dangerous areas, but Bolton substitute Chris Eagles, and then Zamora, both shot straight into the wall.

Cisse then produced a spectacular effort with a bicycle kick from 12 yards, but it rolled harmlessly wide of Bogdan’s goal.

Hughes then threw on substitutes Buzsaky, Jamie Mackie, and Taye Taiwo as he looked to push for the win.

Mackie, who replaced Wright-Phillips, immediately had a golden opportunity deflected over after Diakite had a shot from the edge of the area blocked.

Mali international Diakite was then booked for a challenge on Miyaichi, but Wheater’s header looped harmlessly over the bar.

Bolton substitute Klasnic then linked up with Miyaichi on 86 minutes, with the on-loan Arsenal man showing some neat feet to find the Croatian, and he drilled a low effort across Kenny into the far corner to give Coyle’s men the lead.

The visitors had a penalty shout in stoppage time as Onouha was brought down by Reo-Coker, but Bolton saw out the game for a vital three points to move ahead of QPR in the table, and more importantly out of the bottom three.
Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!