Diego Simeone's side will be keen to build on a solid start to the new year, as they welcome the struggling Valencians to the capital
Juanfran, Godin, Miranda, Filipe
Diego, Tiago, Gabi, Turan
A Lopez, Zapata, Musacchio, Oriol
Cani, Valero, Perez
Adrian and Arda Turan are set to return to the Atletico Madrid line-up after the duo were surprisingly left out for the goalless draw at Malaga.
Reports from Spain suggest Simeone will go for a more offensive 4-4-2 formation for the visit of the Yellow Submarine, with Adrian partnering Radamel Falcao in attack.
Brazilian defender Miranda looks certain to partner Diego Godin in the heart of the Atletico defence, as Alvaro Dominguez and Luis Perea are ruled out through suspension. Juanfran is expected to be given the nod at right-back, while Portuguese defender Silvio has recovered from a knee injury and could be named on the bench.
Villarreal coach Jose Molina is likely to have central defenders Carlos Marchena and Mateo Musacchio available for selection, with the duo reported to be close to regaining full fitness following knee injuries.
Bruno Soriano has been cleared to play after his fifth yellow card of the season - received in last Sunday's 2-2 draw with Valencia - was rescinded on appeal by the Spanish competition committee. Javier Camunas and Marco Ruben will miss out with injury and suspension respectively.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Atletico Madrid have won just one of their last six matches in all competitions.
- But Atletico have the edge in recent head-to-head meetings with Villarreal, having won seven of the past 10 encounters between the sides.
- The south Madrid club have failed to score in eight of their 17 league fixtures so far this season.
- Atletico are yet to win away from home in the league in 2011-12.
- Villarreal are on a nine-game winless streak in all competitions.
- Marco Ruben (pictured) is the Yellow Submarine's leading scorer this season with five goals.
- Villarreal coach Jose Molina and his Atletico counterpart Diego Simeone played together in Atletico's 1995-96 double-winning team.