Shakhtar Donetsk - Juventus Preview: A point would ensure both sides make the last 16
The Bianconeri go into this match knowing they only need a draw to qualify from Group E against a Shakhtar side who have already booked their place in the next round
By Craig Turnbull
Rat, Kucher, Rakytskiy, Srna
Willian, Eduardo, Teixeira
Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini
L'steiner, Vidal, Pogba, Pirlo, Asamoah
Luiz Adriano will be suspended for the hosts after his infamous goal against Nordsjaelland on matchday 5, which means this may well give a chance to former Arsenal striker Eduardo.
Defenders Dmytro Chygrynskiy and Tomas Hubschmann have been suffering with thigh problems recently and are unlikely to make the encounter with the Serie A giants.
Olexandr Kucher will miss Shakhtar's next match in the Champions League if he receives another booking.
Meanwhile, for Juventus, two-goal hero at the weekend Claudio Marchisio will have to watch this one from the stands, having picked up a third booking in Europe against Chelsea on matchday 5.
Paul Pogba started against Torino on Saturday and put in an impressive performance which may be rewarded with a place in the starting XI.
Giorgio Chiellini is walking a disciplinary tightrope as he will miss the Bianconeri's next match if he is cautioned in this one.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Shakhtar Donetsk have already qualified from Group E and any more than a point here against Juventus will ensure they top the standings.
- The miners have recorded 13 victories and just two defeats in their last 19 home games in Europe excluding qualifiers.
- The Ukrainian champions are the joint-top goalscorers with Paris Saint-Germain in this year's Champions League with 12 goals.
- Juventus can book their place in the next round with a draw but will top the group if they beat Shakhtar on Wednesday. If they lose and Chelsea win against Nordsjaelland, they will be eliminated.
- The Bianconeri have picked up five draws in their last five encounters away from home in Europe.
- Mirko Vucinic (pictured, right) has gone nine league games without a goal, however, he was on the score-sheet for the Serie A champions against Nordsjaelland in the 1-1 draw on matchday 3.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Juventus
- 19.33 %
Shakhtar Donetsk 1-2 Juventus
- 18.75 %
Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 Juventus
- 10.21 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||5 Dec 2012||Shakhtar Donetsk 0 - Juventus 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2 Oct 2012||Juventus 1 - Shakhtar Donetsk 1|
|27 Feb 2014||Shakhtar Donetsk 1 - FC Viktoria Plzeň 2||EL|
|20 Feb 2014||FC Viktoria Plzeň 1 - Shakhtar Donetsk 1||EL|
|10 Dec 2013||Manchester United 1 - Shakhtar Donetsk 0||UCL|
|27 Nov 2013||Shakhtar Donetsk 4 - Real Sociedad 0||UCL|
|5 Nov 2013||Shakhtar Donetsk 0 - Bayer Leverkusen 0||UCL|
The Brazilian has lit up the Champions League with some stunning performances for the Ukrainian champions, and having scored four goals in his last two matches in Europe, the 24-year-old will not be short of confidence heading into this one.
The Italy playmaker offers plenty of experience and guile to the Bianconeri midfield. He did not have his best performance against Torino on Saturday - blazing over a penalty - but the 33-year-old, who already has three Champions League assists to his name, could be the key to unlocking a stubborn defence on Wednesday.
The Juventus camp have came out and insisted they are going to go for the win in this one to ensure top spot in the group. However, given the quality of their opponents at home and the fact that the Bianconeri have drawn their last five matches in Europe away, then, this looks like a safe bet to be a draw.