thumbnail Hello,

UEFA Champions League

  • 4 December 2012
  • • 19:45
  • • Stade de la Mosson, Montpellier
  • Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz
  • • Attendance: 23142

Montpellier 1-1 Schalke: Howedes helps Germans secure top spot in Group B

Montpellier 1-1 Schalke: Howedes helps Germans secure top spot in Group B

Getty images

The defender headed his side into the lead before Emanuel Herrera drew the hosts level three minutes later, but a point was enough for Huub Stevens' men to secure first place

Schalke finished as winners of Group B after a Benedikt Howedes goal secured a 1-1 draw with Montpellier on Tuesday.

The Germany defender nodded home from close range after Christoph Metzelder flicked on Julian Draxler's free kick, but a quickfire equaliser from Emanuel Herrera was enough to earn the hosts a deserved share of the spoils.

Tuesday's clash at Stade de la Mosson was always likely to be something of a tepid affair, with both sides making wholesale changes to their line-ups as their fates in the tournament were already sealed.

Indeed, we had to wait until the 25-minute mark for the first meaningful chance, and it was a glorious one at that. Some more clever interplay between Ciprian Marica and Julian Draxler allowed the latter time and space to cross for Teemu Pukki, but the Finland international somehow contrived to side-foot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Both sides were struggling to seize the upperhand on an uneven pitch, with Tranquillo Barnetta summing up the frustrations with the surface as he completely missed his kick after the ball bobbled horribly on the edge of the area, all after some more sharp link-up play between Marica and Lewis Holtby.

Draxler looked the real danger man for the visitors and almost carved out a chance for Marica after flicking the ball brilliantly past Daniel Congre, but Ligali saved bravely at the feet of the striker, who had taken a heavy touch.

Montpellier were searching for their first win of the competition, but it took until early in the second half for them to carve open a genuine chance. Anthony Mounier latched on to substitute Romain Pitau's through-ball, and after Timo Hildebrand failed to deal convincingly with the effort, Herrera's shot was cleared superbly off the line by Atsuto Uchida.

And just a few minutes later, Schalke struck the first blow of the match. Draxler's free kick was headed down by Metzelder, and Howedes nodded home from close range to put the visitors in the lead.

Suddenly, the match had sparked into life, and within just three minutes the hosts were level. Herrera met Mounier's cross at the far post and although Metzelder blocked his initial header, he was alert to prod home on the line.

Pitau's introduction had given the hosts new life and suddenly they were in control of the match. Cabella tested Hildebrand with a shot from 25 yards before Herrera almost connected with another deep cross to prod in a second.

Schalke responded by throwing on Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, but it was Pukki who had the chance to hand his side the lead after a brilliant free kick from Holtby, but he was unable to connect and Montpellier cleared.

Pitau almost created a late winner for the hosts when his cross found Herrera once more, but Hildebrand got a vital touch to the Argentine's shot to divert the ball wide.

And Herrera was denied again late on, with his shot disappointingly straight at the Schalke stopper after some clever footwork to create space inside the area.

Ultimately, a draw was a fair reflection of the match, as Montpellier finish the competition at the foot of the table whilst the Germans progress as group winners, just ahead of Arsenal.