Montpellier - Schalke Preview: Visitors can wrap up first-place finish
Huub Stevens' side sealed their place in the last 16 by beating Olympiakos on Matchday 5 but can make sure that they end the group stage ahead of Arsenal on Tuesday
By Enis Koylu
Congre, Yanga-Mbiwa, Hilton, El Kaoutari
Utaka, Belhanda, Cabella
Uchida, Howedes, Matip, Fuchs
Farfan, Holtby, Draxler
Montpellier coach Rene Girard could name a few changes to the team that lost 1-0 to Olympique Lyonnais on Saturday.
Geoffrey Jourdren, Teddy Mezague, Joris Marveuax, Karim Ait-Fana and Garry Bocaly have all been struggling with injuries, but Hilton returns to the fold after a recent layoff.
Meanwhile, Jamel Saihi and Cyril Jeunechamp could both feature having missed recent domestic matches through suspension, though the latter will have to see off competition from Daniel Congre. Finally, Remy Cabella could come back into the fold.
Whether Huub Stevens' decides to pick a strong Schalke side is open to conjecture. In theory they could name the same team that drew 1-1 with Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday, featuring stars such as Lewis Holtby, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Julian Draxler.
However, he could opt to give game time to some of the fringe players, including the likes of Christoph Metzelder, Tranquillo Barnetta, Chinedu Obasi and Teemu Pukki. Timo Hildebrand should continue in goal in place of out of favour Lars Unnerstall.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Montpellier's 2-0 loss to Arsenal on matchday 5 not only confirmed their exit from the Champions League, but from all European competition this season.
- The only point the Ligue 1 champions have won in the tournament was against Schalke at the Veltins Arena on matchday 2.
- MHSC have entertained German opposition on three previous occasions, beating Koln and Duisburg in 1997 and 1999, respectively, before being held to a 1-1 draw by Hamburg.
- Schalke need a victory to confirm their place at the top of Group B. If they were to lose or draw, they would have to hope that Olympiakos can stop Arsenal from winning.
Arsenal are 11/4 with Bet365 to top the group.
- Julian Draxler (pictured right), who scored the equaliser against Borussia Monchengladbach at the weekend, broke his arm when these two sides first met in October.
- Their victory over Olympiakos a fortnight ago was the only game that Schalke have won in their last five in all competitions.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Montpellier Herault SC 1-2 FC Schalke 04
- 16.05 %
Montpellier Herault SC 1-1 FC Schalke 04
- 14.4 %
Montpellier Herault SC 0-2 FC Schalke 04
- 13.99 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||4 Dec 2012||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - FC Schalke 04 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||3 Oct 2012||FC Schalke 04 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 2|
|Montpellier Herault SC|
|11 Apr 2014||Montpellier Herault SC 2 - Olympique de Marseille 3||Lig1|
|5 Apr 2014||EA Guingamp 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 2||Lig1|
|29 Mar 2014||Montpellier Herault SC 0 - Valenciennes FC 0||Lig1|
|22 Mar 2014||FC Nantes 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 1||Lig1|
|16 Mar 2014||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Girondins de Bordeaux 1||Lig1|
|5||Vitorino Hilton da Silva||Defender|
|21||Abdelhamid El Kaoutari||Defender|
|19||Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi||Striker|