Arsenal - Olympiakos Preview: Gunners looking to bounce back from Chelsea defeat
Arsene Wenger's side, eighth in the Premier League after six games, will need to show resolve against a tough Greek side following a home loss to their London rivals
By Joe Doyle
Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arteta, Cazorla
Walcott, Gervinho, Podolski
Torosidis, Papazoglou, Modesto, Holebas
Machado, Fuster, Ibagaza, Abdoun
Arsenal only have one new injury worry after their game against Chelsea at the Emirates Stadium, with Abou Diaby (thigh) being withdrawn in the first half, and he will be joined on the sidelines by Tomas Rosicky (Achilles) and Bacary Sagna (foot).
Jack Wilshere made his long-awaited return to football on Monday in the Under-21 game against West Brom, but won't feature in the game. Emmanuel Frimpong also made an appearance against the Baggies following his cameo role in the League Cup, but is still short on fitness.
Olympiakos are set to name Roy Carroll in goal, as the keeper makes a return to the shores of England following spells with Manchester United and West Ham.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal's loss to Chelsea on Saturday was their first of the season, after four wins and three draws in all competitions.
- Gervinho [pictured, right] is the Gunners' top scorer so far this season, with three strikes in the Premier League and another in the Champions League.
- The Gunners have won two games this season by the scoreline of 6-1.
- Arsenal have scored 13 goals at home and conceded four in all competitions this season.
- Olympiakos come into the game on a domestic run, having won all four of their matches in the league so far, but lost their first Champions League game against Schalke..
- The clubs have faced each other in the Champions League group stages twice before, with Arsenal winning both of their home games, and Olympiakos winning theirs.
- The Greek side's best year in the Champions League came in 1998-99 when they were knocked out at the quarter-final stage by Juventus.
- Olympiakos have scored 14 goals in all competitions this season, conceding five.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 2-0 Olympiakos
- 22.52 %
Arsenal FC 3-0 Olympiakos
- 19.33 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 Olympiakos
- 14.12 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||4 Dec 2012||Olympiakos 2 - Arsenal FC 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||3 Oct 2012||Arsenal FC 3 - Olympiakos 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||6 Dec 2011||Olympiakos 3 - Arsenal FC 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||28 Sep 2011||Arsenal FC 2 - Olympiakos 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||9 Dec 2009||Olympiakos 1 - Arsenal FC 0|
|19 May 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|14 May 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|28 Apr 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||Fulham 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Arsenal £38.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Draw £190.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Olympiakos £5010.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|7||Ariel Miguel Ibagaza||Midfielder|
The right-back has been in fine form this season - in stark contrast to how he started last year. But with Bacary Sagna set to make a return to fitness soon, it will be interesting to see if Jenkinson can really make a claim to be first-choice on the right side of defence.
|Rafik Zoheir Djebbour|
The Algerian striker has netted six times already this season in the league, and will be the main threat for the Gunners to look out for.
The game could be tighter than most people would expect, but Arsenal's defensive steel this season should see them through.