Manchester City - Aston Villa Preview: Mancini's side looking for first win in four
Paul Lambert's team head north in the League Cup hoping to inflict the home side's second defeat in a week, but the hosts have not lost at Etihad Stadium in 14 competitive fixtures
By Joe Doyle
Richards, Kolo Toure, Nastasic, Kolarov
Scapuzzi, Razak, Rodwell, Sinclair
Lowton, Clark, Vlaar, Bennett
N'Zogbia, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Holman
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is likely to make a few changes from the team that drew 1-1 against Arsenal, and could send out a few young players.
Abdul Razak would be one youngster likely to make an appearance, and John Guidetti could also start up front. There are no fresh injury concerns after their game against Arsenal, and as such, rotation is likely.
Paul Lambert has no new injuries to worry about, but following the 4-1 defeat against Southampton there could be changes throughout.
Gary Gardner, Marc Albrighton and Stilian Petrov all remain long-term absentees, and Richard Dunne will also miss out due to a troubling groin injury. The Irish defender has undergone surgery, but Lambert admitted that there is no current return date for the centre-back.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City have won the League Cup twice, level with Birmingham, Arsenal, Norwich and Wolves.
- City have not reached the final of the competition since 1976, when they beat Newcastle.
- Carlos Tevez (pictured right) has scored four goals in seven appearances for City so far this season in all competitions.
- The Champions League loss to Real Madrid was City's first competitive defeat since losing 1-0 to Arsenal in April.
- Aston Villa have won the competition five times. Only Liverpool have a better record, having won it on eight occasions.
- The Villa Park side reached the final in 2010 when they were beaten by Manchester United, the Red Devils came back from a goal down with strikes from Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney.
- Villa won the competition twice in the 1990s, while City's two wins both came in the 1970s.
- In the last four games between the sides at the Etihad Stadium, City have won all four, scoring 13 to Villa's two.
- City are unbeaten at home in 14 competitive fixtures, with their 1-0 loss to Liverpool in last year's League Cup semi-final first-leg their most recent defeat at the Etihad Stadium.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 3-0 Aston Villa
- 16.82 %
Manchester City 2-0 Aston Villa
- 13.68 %
Manchester City 3-1 Aston Villa
- 11.88 %
|Premier League (EPL)||4 Mar 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||17 Nov 2012||Manchester City 5 - Aston Villa 0|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||25 Sep 2012||Manchester City 2 - Aston Villa 4|
|Premier League (EPL)||12 Feb 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||15 Oct 2011||Manchester City 4 - Aston Villa 1|
|19 May 2013||Manchester City 2 - Norwich City 3||EPL|
|14 May 2013||Reading 0 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|11 May 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|7 May 2013||Manchester City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0||EPL|
|4 May 2013||Swansea City 0 - Manchester City 0||EPL|
|Returns:||Manchester City £47.50||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Draw £50.00||Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Returns:||Aston Villa £100.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|8||Karim El Ahmadi||Midfielder|
The young midfielder is likely to play, and looks to have a bright future ahead of him at the club. His combative nature makes him tough to retrieve the ball from, and his passing is deceptively adept. The 19-year-old has already made six first-team appearances and will be looking to snatch a chance to impress on Tuesday.
The new recruit from Crewe is likely to get his first start for the club, and will be an interesting player to watch, especially for the future. Despite only being aged 22, he made over 100 appearances for the now-League One side, and was made captain shortly before his departure for Aston Villa on transfer deadline day.
City are likely to change their line-up in order to give some first-team players a rest, and though that will probably disrupt them somewhat, they should have enough quality in their ranks to overcome a Villa side smarting from their heavy defeat to Southampton on Saturday.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed