Arsenal - Coventry City Preview: Wenger set to field experimental side in League Cup clash
The Frenchman is likely to make a number of changes to the team who secured a 1-1 draw at Manchester City on Sunday as the lower-league outfit come to the Emirates Stadium
By Chris Davie
Yennaris, Djourou, Koscielny, Santos
Ramsey, Eisfeld, Coquelin
Walcott, Giroud, Arshavin
Clarke, Wood, Cameron, Kilbane
Fleck, Henderson, Jennings, Moussa
Arsene Wenger is likely to rotate his side following their 1-1 draw against Manchester City on Sunday in order to give some first-team action to fringe and youth players.
Olivier Giroud, who has yet to score a Premier League goal for Arsenal so far this season, will be in contention to start in attack, with forgotten man Marouane Chamakh the other option up front.
Andrey Arshavin has made just one Premier League appearance so far season and is likely to be handed a spot on the flanks for the hosts. Wenger may also experiment with his central midfield trio, with Francis Coquelin and Thomas Eisfeld both in the running for a starting berth.
Coventry City boss Mark Robins marked his first game in charge at the weekend with a 2-1 defeat at home to Carlisle United.
New signing Franck Moussa could be handed a start on the left flank, should he recover from an illness in time.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal have never won the League Cup under Arsene Wenger despite reaching the final twice during the Frenchman's reign.
- The Gunners have had more shots per game (23) at home than any other Premier League side this season. Arsenal are 9/2 with Bet365 to score over 4.5 goals in this game.
- Mikel Arteta (pictured right) has the highest pass completion rate (93.4 per cent) of any player in the Premier League.
- Arsenal have not lost to Coventry City at home since August 1993.
- Coventry last faced the north Londoners in the top flight in February 2001. Wenger's men ran out 1-0 winners following a goal from Dennis Bergkamp.
- The recently relegated League One side have lost every match that they have played so far in September.
- Coventry sacked manager Andy Thorn in August, with Robins becoming their 11th boss in as many years.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 3-0 Coventry
- 25.81 %
Arsenal FC 4-0 Coventry
- 17.67 %
Arsenal FC 2-0 Coventry
- 10.37 %
|FA Cup (FA)||24 Jan 2014||Arsenal FC 4 - Coventry 0|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||26 Sep 2012||Arsenal FC 6 - Coventry 1|
|15 Apr 2014||Arsenal FC 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|12 Apr 2014||Wigan Athletic 1 - Arsenal FC 1||FA|
|6 Apr 2014||Everton 3 - Arsenal FC 0||EPL|
|29 Mar 2014||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|25 Mar 2014||Arsenal FC 2 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|-||William Emery Edjenguele||Defender|