Sweden - Brazil Preview: Selecao look to recover from Olympic heartbreak in 1958 World Cup rematch
Mano Menezes failed to lead the Samba Boys to gold in London, and will be desperate for a positive result in the replicate fixture of their first world title triumph
By Tom Webber
Lustig, Granqvist, Olsson, Wendt
Larsson, Ibrahimovic, Wilhelmsson
Alves, David Luiz, Dede, Danilo
Lucas, Oscar, Neymar
Sweden quartet Emir Bajrami, Alexander Gerndt, Johan Wiland and Kim Kallstrom all withdrew from the squad due to injury but only Oscar Wendt, Par Hansson and Alexander Kacanikilic were called up as replacements.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is likely to continue in the role he assumed at Euro 2012 and play in behind a lone striker.
For Brazil, meanwhile, Rafael Cabral remains out with the injury that he picked up before the start of the Olympic Games and thus Gabriel of AC Milan is likely to retain the starting spot in goal.
Ramires, who is back in the squad for the first time in over a year, is joined by Chelsea team-mates David Luiz and Oscar. Paulinho could earn his second cap should coach Mano Menezes opt to start him in a deep-lying midfield role.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sweden have won on just two occasions in 14 previous meetings against Brazil. (W2, D3, L9)
- The Blagult last triumphed over Brazil in 1989 with a 2-1 win in 1989, over 23 years ago.
- Neither team has scored more than one goal against the other in their last four meetings. A 1-1 draw at the 1994 World Cup is the last time a match between these two resulted in more than one goal.
- Brazil are returning to the stadium at which they won their first World Cup in 1958, the Rasunda. They beat Sweden 5-2 in the final.
- Pele, and a number of other heroes from who participated in that World Cup, have been invited to attend the game ahead of the stadium's demolishing later this year.
- Ramires (pictured right) could make his first appearance for The Selecao since the Copa America over one year ago. Menezes had previously refused to select the Chelsea man as he was playing out of position for his club at the time.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Sweden 1-3 Brazil
- 19.53 %
Sweden 1-2 Brazil
- 11.45 %
Sweden 0-2 Brazil
- 8.25 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||15 Aug 2012||Sweden 0 - Brazil 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||26 Mar 2008||Sweden 0 - Brazil 1|
|19 Nov 2013||Sweden 2 - Portugal 3||WCQE|
|15 Nov 2013||Portugal 1 - Sweden 0||WCQE|
|15 Oct 2013||Sweden 3 - Germany 5||WCQE|
|11 Oct 2013||Sweden 2 - Austria 1||WCQE|
|10 Sep 2013||Kazakhstan 0 - Sweden 1||WCQE|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed