August 4, 2012 7:30 PM BST
Millennium Stadium — Cardiff (Caerdydd)
Referee: W. Roldán
Team GB - South Korea Preview: Hosts bid to keep medal hopes alive by extending unbeaten run
After topping the group with two wins and a draw, the home nation go into their quarter-final fixture as slight favourites to progress over Hong Myung Bo's men
By James McManus
Taylor, Richards, Caulker, Bertrand
Ramsey, Allen, Giggs, Cleverley
Yoon, Y Kim, Hwang, C Kim
B Kim, Ki, Cheol, Nam
After topping a potentially tricky group which included the likes of Uruguay and Senegal, Team GB head into their quarter-final tie with a fully fit squad to choose from.
With coach Stuart Pearce having rested captain Ryan Giggs from the side's last game against Uruguay, he should be set to return to the starting line-up with Scott Sinclair expected to make way.
A late check may also need to be made on Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge, who is still thought to be suffering from the effects of his meningitis scare and is far from fully fit.
South Korea coach Hong Myung Bo has no injury or suspension concerns ahead of the game, but they will be looking to improve upon their disappointing 0-0 draw against Gabon in their last run out which helped them seal qualification to the knock-out rounds.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Daniel Sturridge [pictured right] is currently Great Britain's top goalscorer with two.
- Coach Stuart Pearce has won two of his four matches in charge of the side.
- The current Team GB squad has no overseas-based players within it
- On the other hand, South Korea have 10, with three based in Japan, three in England, one in China, one in Scotland, one in Wales and one in Germany.
- In their three games in the tournament to date, South Korea have conceded just one goal, which came against Switzerland in their 2-1 win.
- South Korea have now qualified for the quarter-finals of the Olympics three times. They first reached the last eight back in 1948 when the Games were also in London and then the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- The team's coach, Hong Myung-Bo, was the recipient of the 2002 Fifa World Cup Bronze ball. No other Asian player has ever achieved this feat.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Great Britain U-23 2-0 South Korea Under 23
- 16.48 %
Great Britain U-23 2-1 South Korea Under 23
- 15.79 %
Great Britain U-23 1-2 South Korea Under 23
- 9.84 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||4 Aug 2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - South Korea Under 23 1|
|Great Britain U-23|
|4 Aug 2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - South Korea Under 23 1||OLY|
|1 Aug 2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Uruguay U-23 0||OLY|
|29 Jul 2012||Great Britain U-23 3 - UAE U-23 1||OLY|
|26 Jul 2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Senegal U-23 1||OLY|
|31 Mar 2009||Great Britain U-23 0 - France U-21 2||FR|