Liverpool - FC Gomel Preview: Reds looking to secure their passage through to the next round of the Europa League
Brendan Rodgers is out for a victory in his first match at Anfield to build on a debut win in charge of the club in the opening leg against their Belarusian opponents last week
By Shane Farrington
Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique
Downing, Henderson, Spearing, Cole
Matveychik, Kirilchik, Kaveshki, Kilmovich
Lipatkin, Levitski, Platonov
Brendan Rodgers is unlikely to make too many changes from the side that played in the first leg. Daniel Agger is again likely to miss out with speculation linking him with a move to Manchester City intensifying over recent days.
Summer signing Fabio Borini is likely to make way up front with Andy Carroll pushing for a start. Luis Suarez has returned to the club following Olympic duty for Uruguay and despite making himself available for the match, is likely to be on the bench.
Likewise, Gomel manager Oleg Kubarev could name a similar side to the first leg. Nikolay Lipatkin could come into the team after impressing in a brief 15 minute cameo in their first leg defeat.
Aleksandr Alumona is again poised to lead the line for the visitors with support expected to come from Dmitri Platonov and Igor Voronkov.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool have won the Uefa Cup (before it was turned into the Europa League) three times in their history: in 1973, 1976 and 2001.
- The Reds' eighth place league finish last season was their worst in 18 years.
- Liverpool new boy Fabio Borini (pictured right), played under Brendan Rodgers for Swansea in the 2010/11 season and scored 10 goals in 26 appearances in his only season at Roma the following year.
- FC Gomel dominated the first leg and had 18 shots with six of those hitting the target, while Liverpool had seven shots and two on target.
- The Belarusian side have had five previous names in their history: Lokomotiv Gomel, Spartak Gomel, Gomselmash Gomel, Mashinostroitel Gomel and Gomselmash Gomel.
- The visitors beat Vikingur from the Faroe Islands in the first qualifying stages in the Europa League 10-0 on aggregate and Macedonian outfit Renova 2-1 in the next stage to set-up their clashes against Liverpool.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-0 FC Gomel
- 25.92 %
Liverpool 2-0 FC Gomel
- 24.01 %
Liverpool 2-1 FC Gomel
- 8.17 %
|Europa League (EL)||9 Aug 2012||Liverpool 3 - FC Gomel 0|
|Europa League (EL)||2 Aug 2012||FC Gomel 0 - Liverpool 1|
|19 May 2013||Liverpool 1 - QPR 0||EPL|
|12 May 2013||Fulham 1 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|5 May 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|27 Apr 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|21 Apr 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea FC 2||EPL|
|Returns:||Liverpool £11.70||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Draw £670.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Gomel £810.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|25||José Reina Paez||Goalkeeper|
The 28-year-old struggled to shine in his debut season at Anfield following his big-money move from Aston Villa. He netted the only goal in the first leg between the two sides and he will be hoping to carry this form in to the new season.
The Russian forward was arguably the stand-out player in the first leg. His movement caused Liverpool’s backline problems and if his finishing had been better then his side could have well be heading in to the second leg ahead. With chances likely to be harder to come by, the 28-year-old will need to be more clinical in front of goal if FC Gomel are to go through.
The Reds go in to the game leading 1-0 but the visitors showed in the first leg they are capable of causing Rodgers’ side problems. However after spending another week with his new squad to implement his ideas, the Merseyside outfit should have too much for their hosts to handle.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed