Atalanta - Inter Preview: Stramaccioni's side attempt to keep up pace at summit
The Nerazzurri recorded an impressive victory over the Serie A leaders in their last league outing and will look to continue their fine form at the Azzurri d'Italia
By Renger Dotinga
Raimondi, Stendardo, Manfredini, Peluso
Schelotto, Cigarini, Carmona, Bonaventura
Ranocchia, Samuel, Juan
Zanetti, Gargano, Cambiasso, Nagatomo
Stefano Colantuono is likely to opt for the same starting XI which claimed a credible victory away to Sampdoria last time out, with German Denis continuing as the lone striker. The former Palermo coach has no fresh injury concerns to contend with, but remains without long-term absentees Daniele Capelli and Adriano Pinto.
On the other hand, Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni rang the changes for his side's midweek Europa League triumph away to Partizan Belgrade, but will likely revert to the 3-4-1-2 formation which ended Juventus' unbeaten run last weekend.
However, the young trainer is still without Wesley Sneijder, who is yet to regain match fitness following a muscle strain suffered in October, so Rodrigo Palacio should keep his playmaking berth behind front pair Diego Milito and Antonio Cassano.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Atalanta currently sit ninth in the Serie A standings, one point ahead of Inter's city rivals Milan.
- Only two teams, Pescara and Palermo, have scored fewer goals than Sunday's hosts, who have just 10 strikes to their name this term.
- The Orobici are unbeaten in their last four matches, however - a run which included a narrow win over third-placed Napoli.
- Inter find themselves just one point adrift of league leaders Juventus following their 3-1 victory over the holders last weekend.
- The visitors have won their last ten away games in all competitions, six of which came in Serie A.
- Only two teams, Juventus and Roma, have been more prolific than the Nerazzurri on domestic duty in the current campaign. Diego Milito (pictured) has bagged seven of his side's 22 league goals up to this point, two of which came in the win over the Bianconeri.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Atalanta 0-2 Inter
- 26.11 %
Atalanta 0-3 Inter
- 16.49 %
Atalanta 1-3 Inter
- 15.41 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||29 Oct 2013||Atalanta 1 - Inter 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||7 Apr 2013||Inter 3 - Atalanta 4|
|Serie A (SR-A)||11 Nov 2012||Atalanta 3 - Inter 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||18 Mar 2012||Inter 0 - Atalanta 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||26 Oct 2011||Atalanta 1 - Inter 1|
|9 Mar 2014||Lazio 0 - Atalanta 1||SR-A|
|2 Mar 2014||Atalanta 2 - Chievo 1||SR-A|
|23 Feb 2014||Udinese 1 - Atalanta 1||SR-A|
|16 Feb 2014||Atalanta 0 - Parma 4||SR-A|
|8 Feb 2014||Fiorentina 2 - Atalanta 0||SR-A|
|-||Carlos Javier Matheu||Defender|
|91||Giuseppe De Luca||Striker|
The Atalanta no.10 opened the scoring for the his side against Sampdoria last week, and impressed throughout. Coming up against Javier Zanetti, the Italy Under-20 international will need to fire on all cylinders if El Dea are to get a result against their rampant visitors.
Much praise has been directed at Diego Milito for his goalscoring exploits in recent weeks, but his compatriot has been equally important in recent victories. The Argentine hit a brace in midweek, and with Wesley Sneijder due to return to the fold imminently, the former Boca Juniors man will want to solidify his claim for a starting berth.
It's hard to look beyond Inter for this one, with the Milan outfit finding their feet under Andrea Stramaccioni. Moreover, the Nerazzurri have won their last ten away fixtures, the last three of which ended in 1-3 triumphs. And with Diego Milito in fine form and Atalanta strugglng to find the net, a similar scoreline could be on the cards.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed