Real Madrid - Espanyol Preview: Mourinho's men need a response to Copa del Rey disappointment
After a disappointing defeat in midweek, los Blancos will be desperate to recover with a win to ensure that they can keep within reach of league leaders Barcelona
By Tom Webber
Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Coentrao
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Lopez, Colotto, Moreno, V. Alvarez
Garcia, Verdu, Simao
Real Madrid will be eager to ensure their Liga defence does not take another blow when they host Espanyol at the Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday.
Jose Mourinho will welcome back a number of first team names who were rested in the midweek Copa del Rey defeat to Celta Vigo. Mesut Ozil is expected to fill the whole behind the striker while Sami Khedira returns to defensive midfield alongside Xabi Alonso.
The fans may feel more secure with Iker Casillas back between the posts, with Raphael Varane dropping out of the side to accommodate Sergio Ramos. With Marcelo still out with a fractured foot, Fabio Coentrao comes in at left-back.
Espanyol currently sit second from bottom in the table but Javier Aguirre can count on a full complement of players ahead of their trip to the capital. Christian Stuani will lead the line for the Catalan side while fellow South Americans Juan Forlin, Diego Colotto and Cristian Alvarez form the spine of the struggling side.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid have won all of their previous six encounters with Espanyol.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is currently the highest-scoring player for Mourinho's side with 13 league goals this term. Only Lionel Messi and Radamel Falcao have scored more.
- Los Blancos ran out 5-0 winners in this fixture last season. Two goals from Gonzalo Higuain were added to by Ronaldo, Sami Khedira (pictured right) and Kaka.
- Espanyol have failed to score a single goal in their last six outings against los Blancos.
- The Catalan side have not tasted victory at the Bernabeu since a 2-1 win in the 1995-96 season.
- Los Blanquiblaus' 75 seasons in La Liga makes them the longest-serving top-flight side to have failed to lift the championship.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid 3-1 Espanyol
- 11.01 %
Real Madrid 3-0 Espanyol
- 9.57 %
Real Madrid 4-1 Espanyol
- 8.38 %
|Copa del Rey (ESPC)||28 Jan 2014||Real Madrid 1 - Espanyol 0|
|Copa del Rey (ESPC)||21 Jan 2014||Espanyol 0 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||12 Jan 2014||Espanyol 0 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||11 May 2013||Espanyol 1 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||16 Dec 2012||Real Madrid 2 - Espanyol 2|
|9 Mar 2014||Real Madrid 3 - Levante UD 0||LIGA|
|2 Mar 2014||Atlético de Madrid 2 - Real Madrid 2||LIGA|
|26 Feb 2014||FC Schalke 04 1 - Real Madrid 6||UCL|
|22 Feb 2014||Real Madrid 3 - Elche 0||LIGA|
|16 Feb 2014||Getafe 0 - Real Madrid 3||LIGA|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|6||Juan Daniel Forlín||Defender|
|16||Javier López Rodríguez||Defender|
|3||Diego Daniel Colotto||Defender|
|34||Víctor Guillermo Álvarez Delgado||Defender|
|26||Víctor Sánchez Mata||Midfielder|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed