Stevenage - Tottenham Preview: Spurs look for early victory under Andre Villas-Boas
In his first game in charge, the Portuguese manager will be looking to make an early impact in a game sure to see a number of fringe and youth players involved
By Chris Teale
Gray, Ashton, Roberts, Charles
Dunne, Morais, Grant, Shroot
Smith, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Naughton
Jenas, Sigurdsson, Livermore
Lennon, Coulibaly, Townsend
As one of two pre-season friendlies against Premier League opposition, Stevenage will probably opt for a strong side, with a number of their new players being given an early run-out by manager Gary Smith.
Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas is likely to field a mixture of first team players and younger squad members, with the likes of Jan Vertonghen and Gylfi Sigurdsson in line for possible debuts.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Already this pre-season, Stevenage have made nine signings, including former Chelsea midfielders Anthony Grant from Southend United and Filipe Morais from Oldham Athletic.
- Last season, The Boro won four of their last five games in League One to secure themselves sixth place and the final play-off spot. However, they lost 1-0 on aggregate in their semi-final to Sheffield United.
- Stevenage striker Luke Freeman gained fame at his first club, Gillingham, when he became the youngest Gills FA Cup player in their history when he appeared against Barnet aged 15 years and 233 days old on November 10th 2007.
- Gary Smith has managed Stevenage since January having joined from Colorado Rapids in the MLS in the United States. His father, Roger, played for Tottenham for six years, with many of Smith's family originating from Tottenham.
- Last season, these two sides met in the fifth round of the FA Cup, with Stevenage earning a 0-0 draw at their stadium Broadhall Way and forcing a replay at White Hart Lane, which Spurs won comfortably 3-1 thanks to a brace from Jermain Defoe and another from Emmanuel Adebayor.
- This game is new Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas' first game in charge, having been hired to replace Harry Redknapp.
- So far this summer, Spurs have allowed seven first-team players to leave the club, with Vedran Corluka leaving for Lokomotiv Moscow and Niko Kranjcar for Dynamo Kiev.
- This season, Tottenham will make their 11th appearance in the Uefa Europa League (formerly the Uefa Cup), and will enter the competition at the group stage after their fourth-place finish in the Premier League last season.
- Last season, Spurs defeated teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, thanks to their form in the Europa League and the entry of Swansea into the Premier League for the first time.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Stevenage 0-3 Tottenham
- 12.36 %
Stevenage 0-2 Tottenham
- 11.54 %
Stevenage 1-3 Tottenham
- 9.53 %
|Club Friendlies (FR)||18 Jul 2012||Stevenage 0 - Tottenham 2|
|FA Cup (FA)||7 Mar 2012||Tottenham 3 - Stevenage 1|
|FA Cup (FA)||19 Feb 2012||Stevenage 0 - Tottenham 0|
|27 Apr 2013||Stevenage 0 - Milton Keynes Dons 2||EFL1|
|20 Apr 2013||Swindon 3 - Stevenage 0||EFL1|
|13 Apr 2013||Stevenage 0 - Yeovil Town 2||EFL1|
|6 Apr 2013||Portsmouth 0 - Stevenage 0||EFL1|
|1 Apr 2013||Stevenage 1 - Hartlepool United 0||EFL1|
|Returns:||Stevenage £660.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Draw £120.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Tottenham £14.40||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
Having joined from Southend United on a free transfer this summer, the former Chelsea trainee will be keen to make an early impression on his new team-mates in the centre of the midfield.
An exciting young player who enjoyed some playing time in the Premier League last season, Rose will be keen to further his cause on the Tottenham left with a good performance here to start the pre-season well.
It should be a close game between these two, as both sides are at the early stages of their pre-season schedules and still not quite at their optimum fitness. However, even if it is only their fringe players on the pitch, Tottenham should have too much for the home side, and will be confident of taking a comfortable victory.
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed