Barcelona - Valencia Preview: Suspended Vilanova seeks reaction to Supercopa loss
The Blaugrana boss suffered his first defeat against Real Madrid on Wednesday and will want to make amends when Mauricio Pellegrino's side visit Camp Nou
By Karthick Arvinth
Montoya, Pique, Mascherano, Alba
Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta
Tello, Messi, Sanchez
Pereira, Rami, Ruiz, Mathieu
Albelda, T Costa
Feghouli, Jonas, Guardado
Barcelona captain Carles Puyol remains doubtful for Sunday's Primera Division encounter against Valencia with a cheekbone injury.
The Catalans, who will have coach Tito Vilanova barred from the dugout, could also be without right-back Dani Alves, after the Brazilian picked up a knock prior to Wednesday's Supercopa defeat at Real Madrid.
However, young midfielder Thiago has finally overcome a tibia injury that kept him out of the Olympics and is fit to play.
Valencia summer signing Fernando Gago faces a late fitness test, so David Albelda may make his first appearance of the season.
Also set for a start is French defender Adil Rami, who will deputise for the suspended Ricardo Costa.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona's Supercopa defeat against Real Madrid was their first away loss since a 1-0 reverse at Chelsea in last season's Champions League semi-final first leg.
- The Catalans have been drawn in Group G with Benfica, Spartak Moscow and Celtic for the group stage of this season's Champions League.
- Lionel Messi (pictured right) has the same goalscoring record as last season after four games in all competitions: six goals.
- Valencia have failed to register a win over Barcelona in their last 11 attempts across all competitions.
- The Mestalla outfit's last victory at Camp Nou was a 1-0 success in October 2003 - the last time they won the league.
- Valencia have been drawn in Group F for the Champions League group stage alongside Bayern Munich, Lille and BATE Borisov.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Barcelona 3-1 Valencia
- 18.35 %
Barcelona 3-0 Valencia
- 9.94 %
Barcelona 2-1 Valencia
- 8.13 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||1 Sep 2013||Valencia 2 - Barcelona 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||3 Feb 2013||Valencia 1 - Barcelona 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||2 Sep 2012||Barcelona 1 - Valencia 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||19 Feb 2012||Barcelona 5 - Valencia 1|
|Copa del Rey (ESPC)||8 Feb 2012||Barcelona 2 - Valencia 0|
|17 Dec 2013||Barcelona 3 - F.C. Cartagena 0||ESPC|
|14 Dec 2013||Barcelona 2 - Villarreal 1||LIGA|
|11 Dec 2013||Barcelona 6 - Celtic 1||UCL|
|6 Dec 2013||F.C. Cartagena 1 - Barcelona 4||ESPC|
|1 Dec 2013||Athletic de Bilbao 1 - Barcelona 0||LIGA|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|18||Jose Andrés Guardado||Midfielder|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed