Borussia Dortmund-Augsburg Preview: Hosts can strengthen grip on second
Jurgen Klopp’s men are four points up on third-placed Leverkusen ahead of Saturday’s encounter with relegation-threatened Augsburg
By Jerrad Peters
Piszczek, Subotic, Santana, Schmelzer
Grosskreutz, Gotze, Reus
Verhaegh, C'sen-Bracker, Klavan, Ostrzolek
Hahn, Vogt, Oehrl, Werner
Borussia Dortmund’s two-year grip on the title will likely be released on Saturday as Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich need only a single point to clinch the championship. But with their Champions League aspirations still intact and an automatic berth in next year’s tournament yet to be clinched, the holders still have it all to play for as the season enters its home stretch.
Coach Jurgen Klopp will no doubt have Tuesday’s match against Malaga in mind when he names his team to face Augsburg at Signal Iduna Park, and to that end he’ll be unlikely to rush Jakub Blaszczykowski back into the line-up after the Poland captain was forced to miss Wednesday’s first leg with a groin injury.
Defender Mats Hummels is back in full training and has an outside chance of featuring, while left-back Marcel Schmelzer will once again wear a mask to protect a broken nose.
Augsburg, meanwhile, welcome midfielder Tobias Werner back from suspension but are still without goalkeepers Alex Manninger and Simon Jentzsch, who have Achilles and finger injuries, respectively.
The Bavarian side will also be missing defender Ronny Philip, who has a knee injury, and midfielder Koo Ja-Cheol, who has an abdominal strain.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Since losing the derby to Schalke, Borussia Dortmund have won their last two Bundesliga matches by a combined score of 7-2.
- Dortmund have kept just a single clean sheet in their last eight Bundesliga matches.
- Mainz and Bayern Munich are the only sides currently in the top six that Dortmund have yet to face between now and the end of the season.
- It took until the third week of January—or 18 matches—for Augsburg to get their second victory this season. Their first came after seven matches.
- Only once in their last nine matches have Augsburg managed more than a single goal.
- Dortmund were 3-1 winners when last these sides met in October and won the corresponding match 4-0 last season.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-0 FC Augsburg
- 19.89 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 FC Augsburg
- 10.61 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 FC Augsburg
- 9.02 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||25 Jan 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - FC Augsburg 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||10 Aug 2013||FC Augsburg 0 - Borussia Dortmund 4|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||6 Apr 2013||Borussia Dortmund 4 - FC Augsburg 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||10 Nov 2012||FC Augsburg 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||10 Mar 2012||FC Augsburg 0 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|1 Mar 2014||Borussia Dortmund 3 - 1. FC Nürnberg 0||BUN|
|25 Feb 2014||Zenit 2 - Borussia Dortmund 4||UCL|
|22 Feb 2014||Hamburger SV 3 - Borussia Dortmund 0||BUN|
|15 Feb 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Eintracht Frankfurt 0||BUN|
|11 Feb 2014||Eintracht Frankfurt 0 - Borussia Dortmund 1||GERC|
|17||Marcel de Jong||Midfielder|