Nurnberg - Borussia Dortmund Preview: Two sides look to build on winning Bundesliga starts
Jurgen Klopp's men travel to Bavaria after getting their Bundesliga campaign off to a dramatic opening with a late 2-1 win over Werder Bremen on August 24
By Enis Koylu
Chandler, Nilsson, Klose, Pinola
Frantz, Kiyotake, Esswein
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Gotze, Reus
Dieter Hecking is widely expected to stick to the team that claimed a credible 1-0 win away at Hamburg on matchday one.
Adam Hlousek and Markus Mendler are both continuing their rehabilitation from their respective knee operations and will be unavailable. One potential change could come up front. On-loan Wolfsburg striker Sebastian Polter has been in good form of late, but Hecking could elect to recall Tomas Pekhart to the starting lineup.
Borussia Dortmund will be able to welcome back Lukazs Piszczek at right-back after the Pole missed his side's Bundesliga opener against Werder Bremen with a muscle strain.
The rest of the back five remains unchanged, with Roman Weidenfeller filling his regular position between the sticks behind Mats Hummels, Neven Subotic and Marcel Schmelzer. Sebastian Kehl will continue in midfield alongside Ilkay Gundogan in the absence of the hernia-stricken Sven Bender.
The major question mark concerns Mario Gotze. The 20-year-old came off the bench to net the winning goal against Thomas Schaaf's side, and should he be deemed fit enough to start, should take Kevin Grosskreutz's place in the XI, with Jakub 'Kuba' Blaszczykowski continuing on the right.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Nurnberg have beaten Borussia Dortmund just once since 1992. They achieved this on matchday 14 of the 2007-08 season with a 2-0 win.
- Despite the visitors recording back to back Bundesliga titles, Nurnberg have still won one nine national championships, one more than the
Ruhr club's tally of eight.
- The Bavarian side beat Borussia Dortmund 3-0 in the final of the 1961 German football championship in Hannover.
- Borussia Dortmund triumphed 2-0 in this fixture last season in February. Lucas Barrios, who left the Bundesliga for China this summer, scored his first goal of the season.
- In the champions' other trips to Bavaria, they won 1-0 against Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena, but stumbled to a 0-0 draw with Augsburg.
- Germany international midfielder Ilkay Gundogan (pictured, right) spent two years at Nurnberg before winning a move to Signal Iduna Park.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
1. FC Nürnberg 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 20 %
1. FC Nürnberg 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 18.07 %
1. FC Nürnberg 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 10.16 %
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||25 Jan 2013||Borussia Dortmund 3 - 1. FC Nürnberg 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||1 Sep 2012||1. FC Nürnberg 1 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||21 Jul 2012||1. FC Nürnberg 4 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||3 Feb 2012||1. FC Nürnberg 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||20 Aug 2011||Borussia Dortmund 2 - 1. FC Nürnberg 0|
|1. FC Nürnberg|
|18 May 2013||1. FC Nürnberg 3 - Werder Bremen 2||GER1|
|11 May 2013||Fortuna Düsseldorf 1 - 1. FC Nürnberg 2||GER1|
|4 May 2013||1. FC Nürnberg 0 - Bayer Leverkusen 2||GER1|
|27 Apr 2013||TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 2 - 1. FC Nürnberg 1||GER1|
|21 Apr 2013||1. FC Nürnberg 0 - SpVgg Greuther Fürth 1||GER1|
|25||Horacio Javier Pinola||Defender|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed