West Ham - Newcastle Preview: Pardew's side have gone 13 games without a goalless draw
The struggling Magpies are looking to put the 6-0 defeat to Liverpool behind them as they travel to Upton Park to face a Hammers side who have not lost at home since February
By George Odling
Demel, Collins, Reid, O'Brien
Vaz Te, Diame, O'Neill, Jarvis
Debuchy, S Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haidara
Sissoko, Tiote, Cabaye, Perch, Gutierrez
West Ham can boast an almost clean bill of health, with only defenders George McCartney (knee) and James Tomkins (calf) sidelined with injury.
Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has an outside chance of returning from a back injury, but Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is likely to continue at centre-back. Meanwhile, Frenchman Sylvain Marveaux (groin) has an outside chance of featuring.
Longer term absentees include goalkeeper Tim Krul (shoulder), defender Davide Santon (hamstring) and Ryan Taylor (knee).
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle have gone 13 games without a 0-0 draw.
- Demba Ba remains joint top scorer for the Magpies this season with Papiss Cisse despite leaving for Chelsea in January.
- Alan Pardew's side sit 17th in the Premier League, five points ahead of Wigan, who hold a game in hand. The teams are level on goal difference, both on -23.
- Newcastle have scored 23 per cent of their goals this season from outside the box, 10 of their 43 overall.
- West Ham have only beaten the Magpies once in their last six meetings at Upton Park.
- The last time that the two sides met at Upton Park in 2010, Newcastle won 2-1 with goals coming from Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll (pictured right), who both now represent the Hammers.
- Nolan and Carroll are West Ham's joint top scorers this season, having both scored seven goals in the Premier League. Carroll is 8/1 with Bet365 to score the first goal in this game.
- Sam Allardyce and Alan Pardew have also managed both teams.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham 1-2 Newcastle United
- 13.37 %
West Ham 2-0 Newcastle United
- 12.81 %
West Ham 2-1 Newcastle United
- 9.47 %
|Premier League (EPL)||18 Jan 2014||West Ham 1 - Newcastle United 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||24 Aug 2013||Newcastle United 0 - West Ham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||4 May 2013||West Ham 0 - Newcastle United 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||11 Nov 2012||Newcastle United 0 - West Ham 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||5 Jan 2011||Newcastle United 5 - West Ham 0|
|19 Apr 2014||West Ham 0 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|15 Apr 2014||Arsenal FC 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|6 Apr 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|31 Mar 2014||Sunderland 1 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|26 Mar 2014||West Ham 2 - Hull City 1||EPL|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
The big forward is finally finding form and fitness and will be looking to prove a point against the club who sold him for £35 million. He has scored four times in his last five league appearances, including a late consolation goal against Manchester City, and is rumoured to be back in the frame for an England call-up.
The midfielder was an influential presence for Newcastle last season but has struggled to replicate that form, along with the rest of the team. However, scoring six of the side's 43 goals in the league and creating 48 chances in 23 appearances speaks volumes of his creativity.
Newcastle's recent downturn in form has seen them plummet down the table to 17th place, losing four of their last six away matches. West Ham won the earlier clash this season at St James Park 1-0 and will fancy their chances against a side desperately off-form.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed