Liverpool - Everton Preview: Moyes looking for his first-ever win at Anfield
Local bragging rights appear to be the best for which either side can hope for this season and the Toffees can secure Merseyside superiority for another year with a win
By Al Hain-Cole
Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Enrique
Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson
Downing, Sturridge, Coutinho
Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Mirallas, Fellaini, Osman, Pienaar
After Fabio Borini came off the bench to score against Newcastle after missing eight weeks with a dislocated shoulder, Joe Allen (shoulder) and Martin Kelly (knee) are the only long-term absentees for Liverpool.
Raheem Sterling (hip) is approaching full fitness and could be in contention for Brendan Rodgers.
Tony Hibbert returned to Everton the squad for Saturday's win over Fulham but may have to make do with a place on the bench yet again as Seamus Coleman continues at right-back.
Darron Gibson (hip) is David Moyes's only injury concern, with Ross Barkley set to compete with Nikica Jelavic for a place alongside Victor Anichebe in attack.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Merseyside derby has seen more red cards than any other Premier League fixture, with 20.
- Liverpool have scored nine goals in their two league games without Luis Suarez this season.
- Of the 10 midfielders included in the last England squad, only Frank Lampard has scored and assisted more goals per minute than Jordan Henderson this season (one every 132 minutes).
Henderson is 14/1 with Bet365 to score the first goal in this game.
- Lucas Leiva (pictured right) has made more tackles per minute than any other player in the league this season (one every 14.9 minutes).
- Everton have only won one of their last 12 Premier League games against Liverpool, drawing four and losing seven.
- The Toffees are without a win at Anfield in 12 Premier League games, losing five of the last eight.
- David Moyes is yet to win a single one of his 44 away games against the traditional "big four", taking just 17 points from a possible 132.
- The visitors have won 56 per cent of their games this season with Johnny Heitinga in the side and just 10% without him.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-0 Everton
- 15.34 %
Liverpool 2-1 Everton
- 13.86 %
Liverpool 2-0 Everton
- 11.93 %
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Nov 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||5 May 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||28 Oct 2012||Everton 2 - Liverpool 2|
|FA Cup (FA)||14 Apr 2012||Liverpool 2 - Everton 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||13 Mar 2012||Liverpool 3 - Everton 0|
|7 Dec 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|1 Dec 2013||Hull City 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|9 Nov 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
Liverpool fans feeling despondent about losing the suspended Luis Suarez for 10 games will have perked up considerably after watching Coutinho's performance in the rout over Newcastle. The silky Brazilian simply ran the show at St James' Park, causing the opposition defence nightmares with his nimble footwork and unerring eye for a killer pass. The 20-year-old looks more than capable of filling the creative void left by Suarez's absence but may be in for a shock in the blood and thunder of his first Merseyside derby.
The towering Belgian has played a key role in most of his side's big games this season, scoring against Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal, while laying on many more opportunities for his team mates. The former Standard Liege midfielder is perfectly suited to this fixture's physical nature and will be charged with neutralising Liverpool's flair players as well as offering a threat at set pieces.
Recent showdowns between these sides have been entertaining affairs and Liverpool's poor defensive record in big games this season suggest that this one will not be any different.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed