West Ham - Wigan Preview: Latics look to move out of relegation zone with win
The Hammers will be keen to build on their impressive draw against league leaders Manchester United on Wednesday, while the FA Cup finalists could quell safety fears with victory
By Matt Hill
Demel, Collins, Reid, O'Brien
Jarvis, Nolan, Vaz Te
Alcaraz, Scharner, Figueroa
Boyce, Gomez, McCarthy, Beausejour
McManaman, Kone, Maloney
Sam Allardyce could name the same side that valiantly drew 2-2 with Manchester United in midweek, although Mark Noble has returned from injury and is another option in central midfield.
The club captain is more likely to find a place on the substitutes' bench should Gary O'Neil keep his place.
Despite defeat by Manchester City, Roberto Martinez is also likely to make few changes. The influential Callum McManaman could well return to the side instead of Franco Di Santo, while Joel is expected to retain his place in goal after a fine performance against the champions.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- According to whoscored.com, West Ham have two of the Premier League's top 10 most prolific tacklers in Mark Noble and Mohamed Diame, who average 3.8 and 3.5 tackles per game, respectively.
- Andy Carroll has now been involved in four goals (scoring three and asissting one) in his last three Premier League appearances.
Carroll is 8/5 with Bet365 to score in this game.
- The Hammers have scored just one more goal than Wigan in the league this season (38 to 37) but are seven places above them and eight points better off.
- Wigan have only ever won seven of the 33 Premier League games that they have played in April.
- Maynor Figueroa (pictured right) has conceded more penalties than any other player in the Premier League this season.
- Latics star Jean Beausejour is one of only seven players in the top flight to average at least two accurate crosses per match.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 19.25 %
West Ham 1-2 Wigan Athletic
- 11.23 %
West Ham 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 8.56 %
|Premier League (EPL)||20 Apr 2013||West Ham 2 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Oct 2012||Wigan Athletic 2 - West Ham 1|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||25 Sep 2012||West Ham 1 - Wigan Athletic 4|
|Premier League (EPL)||15 May 2011||Wigan Athletic 3 - West Ham 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Nov 2010||West Ham 3 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|7 Dec 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|3 Dec 2013||Crystal Palace 1 - West Ham 0||EPL|
|30 Nov 2013||West Ham 3 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea FC 3||EPL|
|9 Nov 2013||Norwich City 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
The on-loan Liverpool striker has been in superb form for the Hammers in recent weeks and is a player who can cause any team all sorts of problems. He will need to be at the top of his game against Wigan, who excellently nullified the threat of Manchester City's strikers for 80 minutes on Wednesday.
The 21-year-old is the Latics' most influential player at present and is scoring some important goals. Combined with Shaun Maloney and Arouna Kone, Wigan have a front three capable of troubling Jussi Jaaskelainen in the West Ham goal.
Both teams were impressive in their respective games against the Manchester clubs. West Ham will expect to win considering that they have home advantage but Wigan will be buoyed, knowing that a win would take them out of the bottom three. With Aston Villa having to face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Monday, it is a chance that Wigan cannot pass up if they are to survive this season.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed