Wigan - Swansea Preview: Latics bid for 16th place with win over out-of form visitors
Roberto Martinez's team can climb out of the bottom three with victory over the Welsh club, who haven't managed a win in their last seven Premier League matches
By Dale Jones
Stam, Boyce, Scharner, Espinoza
McCarthy, McArthur, Watson
McManaman, Kone, Maloney
Rangel, Chico, Williams, Davies
Dyer, De Guzman, Hernandez
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is unlikely to make too many changes from the side that started against West Brom, although game-changer James McArthur could be handed a start in place of Jordi Gomez after scoring the equaliser during the 3-2 win at the Hawthorns.
Roger Espinoza could start the game at the DW Stadium after Jean Beausejour (hamstring) had to be substituted against West Brom and the centre-back pairing of Antolin Alcaraz (hamstring) and Gary Caldwell (thigh) could be in contention to feature on Tuesday night.
As for the visitors, Michael Laudrup will be without top goal scorer Michu (hamstring), and Luke Moore will likely replace the Spaniard in leading the Swans' attack.
Wales left-back Neil Taylor (ankle) was again on the bench for the game at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday as he continues his comeback from a long term injury but isn't expected to replace Ben Davies in the starting line-up.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- A win for Wigan could see them rise to 16th in the Premier League, a position they haven't reached this calender year.
- Roberto Martinez's side have conceded an average of two goals per home game this season.
- The corresponding fixture at the Liberty Stadium earlier in the season finished 2-1 in favour of the Swans, with all three goals coming in a manic four minutes.
- Wigan No.1 Joel has conceded a goal every 1.29 games on average, a considerably better rate than the Latics' other keeper Ali Al-Habsi, who has let in one every 1.96 games.
- The Latics are yet to beat Michael Laudrup's side in the Premier League, but did win against them in the League Cup back in 2010.
- Swansea are currently on a seven match winless streak, losing four and drawing three.
- The Swans have only scored 15 goals away from home this season, the third lowest in the Premier League this season.
- Michu (pictured) has scored 17 of Swansea's league goals this season, 39 per cent of them, but will be absent with a hamstring problem.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Swansea City
- 13.43 %
Wigan Athletic 0-2 Swansea City
- 11.81 %
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Swansea City
- 9.26 %
|Premier League (EPL)||7 May 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||20 Oct 2012||Swansea City 2 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||3 Mar 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Swansea City 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||20 Aug 2011||Swansea City 0 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||26 Oct 2010||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 0|
|7 Dec 2013||Millwall 2 - Wigan Athletic 1||ENG2|
|4 Dec 2013||Leeds 2 - Wigan Athletic 0||ENG2|
|1 Dec 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - Derby County 3||ENG2|
|28 Nov 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - Zulte-Waregem 2||EL|
|23 Nov 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Brighton & Hove Albion 1||ENG2|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
The on-loan spanish goalkeeper seems to have taken over the reigns from Ali Al-Habsi as Wigan's No.1 since his move from Atletico Madrid in January. Since initially impressing with a couple of FA Cup appearances, the 22-year-old has started the last seven Premier League games, keeping one clean sheet in the process. The youngster is an imposing figure in the Wigan goal and has great agility for his large frame.
The ex-Valencia man will be called upon to be the spark left by leading scorer Michu's absence. The Spain international has the ability to change a game with a piece of brilliance what the Premier League hasn't seen too much of this season. With Michu injured, Hernandez could be the Swans' best chance of an attacking threat for the game at the DW stadium and manager Michael Laudrup will be looking to the 28-year-old to end their seven-match winless run.
The visitors are in a terrible run of form as of late and have very little to play for sitting in ninth position and top flight status already assured. The Latics are looking for another 'great escape' and look the more motivated of the two sides.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed