QPR - Sunderland Preview: Redknapp’s side face off-form Black Cats in basement battle
The Hoops won only their third league match all season last Saturday but must build on their revival against Martin O’Neill’s side who have won none of their last five league games
By Arthur Virgo
Bosingwa, Samba, Hill, Traore
Park, M'Bia, Granero
Remy, Bothroyd, Hoilett
Gardner, O'Shea, Bramble, Colback
Sessegnon, Larsson, N'Diaye, Johnson
QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar (dead leg) is doubtful and could be replaced by Robert Green, defender Tal Ben Haim (hip) is also doubtful, but the Hoops could name a line-up unchanged from that which defeated Southampton last weekend.
Adel Taarabt was left out of the team last Saturday in favour of Park Ji-Sung and Junior Hoilett, but the playmaker has previously played behind lone striker Loic Remy and could feature at some point.
Bobby Zamora (ankle) is doubtful so Jay Bothroyd could continue up front with Remy moved wide, but Andy Johnson (knee) is out for the season.
Sunderland have no new injury concerns but left-back Danny Rose (hamstring) is nearing a return to fitness and could return in place of Jack Colback. John O’Shea and Titus Bramble have been preferred to Carlos Cuellar at centre-back of late, while Wes Brown (knee) is injured.
Lee Cattermole (knee) is out through injury so Seb Larsson could continue in central midfield, with Stephane Sessegnon out on the right flank as Danny Graham starts with Steven Fletcher in a front two.
Left-sided James McClean is an alternative to Adam Johnson on the left flank and may feature at some point.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- QPR’s victory over Southampton last Saturday followed a six-game winless run and was only their third league victory all season, leaving them bottom of the table and four points from safety having scored the fewest goals (21) of any Premier League side.
- The Hoops have won only two games in all competitions this season at Loftus Road, and have failed to score in any of their last five home league games.
- Sunderland have slid to 14th in the table and six points clear of the relegation zone having won none of their last five league matches, but came back from two goals down last Saturday against Fulham to prevent a fourth consecutive defeat.
- The Black Cats have conceded two goals or more in seven of their last eight matches away from the Stadium of Light.
- The west London side’s last victory over the Wearside club came in April 1991, with the Black Cats winning seven of their last 11 matches against the Hoops who won none.
- The reverse fixture earlier this season in November at the Stadium of Light resulted in a 0-0 draw, but Sunderland have won four of their last five away matches against QPR in all competitions, including their last three trips to Loftus Road in which they scored at least two goals in each.
- Stephane Sessegnon (pictured) has scored in each of his last two matches and found the back of the net in each of the Black Cats’ league wins against QPR last season.
- QPR defender Nedum Onuoha spent the 2010-11 season on-loan at Sunderland, making 32 starts before returning to parent club Manchester City shortly ahead of a permanent move to the Hoops last January.
- The west London club are the only side left in the Premier League who have not seen a penalty converted in a league match this season. They have missed both they have been awarded and, along with Manchester United, have yet to concede one.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
QPR 2-1 Sunderland
- 24.13 %
QPR 1-0 Sunderland
- 15.17 %
QPR 2-0 Sunderland
- 13.68 %
|Premier League (EPL)||9 Mar 2013||QPR 3 - Sunderland 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Nov 2012||Sunderland 0 - QPR 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||24 Mar 2012||Sunderland 3 - QPR 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Dec 2011||QPR 2 - Sunderland 3|
|12 May 2013||QPR 1 - Newcastle United 2||EPL|
|4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|28 Apr 2013||Reading 0 - QPR 0||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||QPR 0 - Stoke City 2||EPL|
|13 Apr 2013||Everton 2 - QPR 0||EPL|
|Returns:||QPR £23.70||Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Returns:||Draw £110.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Sunderland £3510.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|20||Fabio Da Silva||Defender|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|