Southampton - Manchester City Preview: Saints remain winless under Pochettino
With Manchester United nine points clear atop the Premier League table, their city rivals look to pick up some momentum away to a Saints side without a win in four games
By Chris Teale
Clyne, Hooiveld, Fonte, Shaw
Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Davis, Lallana
Zabaleta, Lescott, Nastasic, Clichy
Milner, Y Toure, Barry, Silva
For the home side, Nathaniel Clyne and Luke Shaw are both recovering from knocks that forced them out of international duty with the England Under-21s, but both should be fit for this game.
Guly Do Prado faces a few weeks on the sidelines with a knee problem, so Morgan Schneiderlin should deputise in the centre of midfield.
Gaston Ramirez also withdrew from international duty during the week with a leg injury, and should recover in time to at least take a place among the substitutes.
Manchester City welcome the Toure brothers back into their squad after their return from African Cup of Nations duty, and both should figure for their club again soon.
Vincent Kompany has returned to training as his recovery is going better than expected, although the Belgian is still a little way away from a return.
With Micah Richards still a long-term injury, the champions have no new injury or suspension concerns going into this game.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Southampton are without a win in the Premier League under new manager Mauricio Pochettino, but picked up draws with Everton and Wigan either side of a loss to Manchester United.
- Saints striker Rickie Lambert is the joint-fifth top scorer in the league this season, scoring 11 goals to sit alongside Gareth Bale, Edin Dzeko and Theo Walcott in the scoring charts.
- This season is Southampton’s 14th in the Premier League since it was founded in 1992.
- These two sides played on the opening day of the season, with Manchester City prevailing 3-2 thanks to a winner in the 80th minute from Samir Nasri (pictured right) having been pegged back twice by Southampton equalisers.
- Despite continual speculation surrounding Neymar, the president of Santos has insisted that the Brazilian will not be joining the Premier League champions.
- Since January 2003, Manchester City have spent a total of £109 million in the January transfer window, an average spend of £18.17 million.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 0-3 Manchester City
- 13.24 %
Southampton 1-0 Manchester City
- 10.45 %
Southampton 2-1 Manchester City
- 8.97 %
|Premier League (EPL)||7 Dec 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||9 Feb 2013||Southampton 3 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||19 Aug 2012||Manchester City 3 - Southampton 2|
|8 Mar 2014||Crystal Palace 0 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|1 Mar 2014||Southampton 0 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|22 Feb 2014||West Ham 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|15 Feb 2014||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 0||FA|
|11 Feb 2014||Hull City 0 - Southampton 1||EPL|
If Saints are to be successful, they will need the highly-rated Luke Shaw to be on top form in both an attacking and defending sense. Shaw was forced to withdraw from the England Under-21s squad during the week, but with Arsenal among a number of clubs looking to sign the youngster, he will be keen to make an impact against the champions.
With Manchester City nine points behind in the Premier League title race, they will be delighted to welcome back midfielder Yaya Toure for this game to provide some much-needed strength and positivity in the centre of the park. The Ivorian has been on African Cup of Nations duty, but should be available to return to this game and will hope to once again be the fulcrum of the Citizens’ attacks.
Southampton have looked fairly solid, if unspectacular, under new manager Mauricio Pochettino, and with home advantage may be confident of springing a surprise. However, the away side will be keen to react to going nine points behind in the Premier League title race, and should have more than enough to take the three points in this game.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed