Aston Villa - West Ham Preview: Poor home record meets terrible away form
Paul Lambert's side have taken only one point from their previous five games at Villa Park, while Sam Allardyce's team have lost their last four in a row on the road
By Joe Doyle
Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett
Westwood, El Ahmadi, Holman
Weimann, Benteke, Agbonlahor
O'Brien, Tomkins, Reid, Taylor
J Cole, Noble, Diame, Jarvis
Paul Lambert is unlikely to make too many changes to the side that drew away to Everton. Richard Dunne suffered a setback in training as he recovers from groin and hip injuries, so is unlikely to play. Elsewhere in defence, Chris Herd (foot) is also out.
In midfield, there are more injury woes for Villa. Mark Albrighton (foot) and Gary Gardner (knee) remain long-term absentees, while Fabian Delph (ankle) could miss out, though a return is possible.
For the visitors, Guy Demel (knock) is unlikely to play, as is young left-back Daniel Potts (concussion), so Matt Taylor is likely to continue to deputise at left-back. James Collins (hamstring) is still out, as is George McCartney (knee).
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke (pictured right) has scored in four consecutive appearances in all competitions.
- Paul Lambert's side have only picked up one point from their last five home games, the worst in the Premier League.
- Benteke has scored 10 of Villa's 23 league goals this season.
- Villa have gone eight games without a win, their last one coming in a 3-1 victory against Liverpool at Anfield.
- Aston Villa have conceded the first goal in a Premier League game on 12 occasions this season, drawing twice and losing 10 of those matches.
- West Ham have lost their last four games in a row away from home, and are without a win in seven on the road.
- Sam Allardyce's side have lost all nine games where they have conceded two or more goals.
- If matches this season had finished at half-time, West Ham would be 14th (currently 11th), while Aston Villa would be eighth (currently 19th).
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 1-1 West Ham
- 49.54 %
Aston Villa 2-1 West Ham
- 7.72 %
Aston Villa 1-2 West Ham
- 6.64 %
|Premier League (EPL)||8 Feb 2014||Aston Villa 0 - West Ham 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Nov 2013||West Ham 0 - Aston Villa 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||10 Feb 2013||Aston Villa 2 - West Ham 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||18 Aug 2012||West Ham 1 - Aston Villa 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||16 Apr 2011||West Ham 1 - Aston Villa 2|
|2 Mar 2014||Aston Villa 4 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|23 Feb 2014||Newcastle United 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|11 Feb 2014||Cardiff City 0 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|8 Feb 2014||Aston Villa 0 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|1 Feb 2014||Everton 2 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
The striker is integral to the hosts' chances of staying up, having scored 43 per cent of their goals this season. The variety of goals scored by the Belgian is interesting as well, and the visiting defence will have to be wary of him at all times.
The England international scored on his comeback from injury, and his prowess in the air could prove valuable for the Hammers again. With his future still up in the air, he will be hoping a good stretch until the end of the season can endear him to all parties.
With both teams looking to arrest poor runs of form, it will likely be a very tight encounter, with each side looking to hit their opponents on the counterattack. With Sam Allardyce's side known for their strong aerial talents and organised set-pieces, and Villa picking up scrutiny for their defending of them, this could be a key area for both sides.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed