Newcastle United - Reading Preview: Royals looking to make it three wins from four in the Premier League
Alan Pardew will be keen for his side to end their disappointing slump in results which has seen them topple down the table, while Brian McDermott will be eyeing another victory
By Shane Farrington
Debuchy, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon Anita, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi, Cisse
Harte, Pearce, Mariappa, Gunter
Kebe, Karacan, Guthrie, McAnuff
Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew looks set to hand Yohan Cabaye a start after he came off the bench in their goalless draw away to Norwich City last Saturday, with James Perch the likeliest to drop to the bench.
Experienced forward Shola Ameobi returns after serving a one-game suspension and is likely to come straight back into the starting XI. This could mean Papiss Cisse taking Gabriel Obertan’s place wide in a front three. Ryan Taylor (knee), Dan Gosling (ankle) and Danny Simpson (foot) all remain sidelined, as does long-term injury absentee Haris Vukic (knee).
As for the visitors, they are unlikely to make many changes from the side which came from behind to beat West Brom 3-2. Recent arrival Daniel Carrico endured a tough debut after arriving from Sporting Lisbon and could be named on the substitutes bench.
With three vital points on offer, Reading boss Brian McDermott may well opt to go for two up front with in-form Pavel Pogrebnyak being partnered by Adam Le Fondre. Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy is still sidelined with a shoulder injury.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle have failed to win back-to-back matches in the Premier League so far this season - and have only won one of their last seven league games.
- Yoahan Cabye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse are the only Magpies players to have scored more than one goal in the league this season. Demba Ba netted 13 times before joining Chelsea.
- Newcastle have won five of their 22 league matches so far this season and sit just outside the relegation zone in 16th spot. They are 7/1 to win 2-1 with bet365.
- The match between the two sides at the Madejski Stadium earlier in the season finished in a 2-2 draw. Jimmy Kebe (pictured right), and Noel Hunt scored for the hosts with Demba Ba netting a brace for the away side.
- Reading have won two of their last three Premier League matches after only winning one of their opening 19 games.
- The Royals have the third worst scoring record away from home - after managing to find the back of the net just eight times so far on their travels.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 2-0 Reading
- 21.3 %
Newcastle United 2-1 Reading
- 17.04 %
Newcastle United 3-0 Reading
- 8.02 %
|Premier League (EPL)||19 Jan 2013||Newcastle United 1 - Reading 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||29 Sep 2012||Reading 2 - Newcastle United 2|
|4 Dec 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|30 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|10 Nov 2013||Tottenham 0 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|2 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Chelsea FC 0||EPL|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
The 27-year-old is the club’s greatest threat of goals following Demba Ba’s recent move to Chelsea. With four from his 20 Premier League appearances so far this season, the talented forward has found finding the back of net harder than he did after he initially joined the club. With the Magpies greatest creative force in Cabaye back in the team, the ex-Freiburg man will be hoping more chances now come his way.
The 29-year-old has been in blistering form recently - finding the back of the net on a number of occasions to take his tally in the league to five. With the club’s wingers capable of supplying the tall Russian with plenty of chances, Newcastle’s centre-back pairing of Coloccini and Williamson will have to keep the forward quiet if they are to end their poor recent run of results.
The hosts sit just outside the bottom three and will be desperate for a win as they look to move up the table. As for the visitors, they will be hoping to make it back-to-back wins. The earlier match in the season finished 2-2 and this could well head the same way.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed