West Ham - Everton Preview: Hammers winless in eight Premier League games against the Toffees
Sam Allardyce's side have drawn four and lost four in a poor run against the visitors and will be looking to capitalise on a squad without the suspended Marouane Fellaini
By Michael Lightfoot
WEST HAM UNITED
Demel, Collins, Reid, O'Brien
Taylor, Nolan, Jarvis
Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Naismith, Hitzlsperger, Gibson, Pienaar
West Ham will have to make a few changes as they will be without Mohamed Diame (hamstring), Alou Diarra (thigh), George McCartney (knee) and Ricardo Vaz Te (shoulder).
Yossi Benayoun and Jack Collison (both knee) could both return to the squad after recovering in time for this match, but Sam Allardyce may go with an unchanged lineup from their goalless draw against West Brom.
For Everton, Marouane Fellaini starts his three-match suspension for headbutting Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross. Thomas Hitzlsperger could deputise in his absence with Leon Osman moving into a more advanced role.
David Moyes will also be without Victor Anichebe and Kevin Mirallas (both hamstring), Tony Hibbert (calf) and Phil Neville (knee).
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Ham have won none of the last eight Premier League fixtures with Everton, drawing the last three of them.
- If the Hammers lose the match, it will be their 100th defeat at Upton Park in the Premier League.
- Sam Allardyce's men have picked up the most cards this season - 37 in total, all of which are yellow.
- Everton have won only one of six (17%) without Marouane Fellaini (pictured right) in the top-flight this season, compared with a 41% win rate with him in the team.
- The Toffees have hit the woodwork 13 times this season, only Real Madrid (17) have hit it more times in the top five European leagues.
- David Moyes' men have scored in each of their last 14 Premier League games and conceded in their last 12 - the longest runs seen this season.
- Everton have the fifth-worst record in the Premier League this season from a winning position, having dropped 13 points when in front.
- However, the Toffees have the third-best record when in a losing position, having picked up 14 points when behind in matches this year.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham 1-2 Everton
- 15.41 %
West Ham 2-1 Everton
- 11.3 %
West Ham 0-2 Everton
- 9.93 %
|Premier League (EPL)||1 Mar 2014||Everton 1 - West Ham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Sep 2013||West Ham 2 - Everton 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||12 May 2013||Everton 2 - West Ham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||22 Dec 2012||West Ham 1 - Everton 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||22 Jan 2011||Everton 2 - West Ham 2|
|19 Apr 2014||West Ham 0 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|15 Apr 2014||Arsenal FC 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|6 Apr 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|31 Mar 2014||Sunderland 1 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|26 Mar 2014||West Ham 2 - Hull City 1||EPL|
|43||Sebastian Francisco Lletget||Midfielder|
The Hammers' top goalscorer will not have the obvious blockade of Fellaini in his path to goal, and with the form he is in this season he is the most likely source of danger for the opposition.
The German looks the likeliest midfielder to come in for Marouane Fellaini and will have his work cut out against his former club. He is known for his long-distance shooting, and the hosts will need to shut him down quickly whenever he is in range.
With West Ham struggling with injured players and the visitors set to be without arguably their best player in Marouane Fellaini, it will be tough to see either side being a true dominant force in this one. Everton might shade it, but Upton Park is a difficult place to play as Chelsea found out at the start of the month, and goals are likely.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed