Arsenal - QPR Preview: Gunners attempt to get back on track after goalscoring troubles
Arsene Wenger's side are looking to bounce back from their defeat to Schalke, while Mark Hughes' team are still hunting for their first Premier League win of the season
By Joe Doyle
Jenkinson, M'sacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen
Ramsey, Cazorla, Arteta
Gervinho, Giroud, Podolski
Bosingwa, Nelsen, Diakite, Traore
Park, Granero, M'Bia
Hoilett, Zamora, Taarabt
Arsenal continue to suffer from a lengthy injury list, with Wojciech Szczesny (ankle) and Lukasz Fabianski (shoulder) still absent in goal, so Vito Mannone looks set to continue as No.1.
Bacary Sagna (broken leg) is back in training, and has played for the Under-21 team, but is unlikely to start on Saturday - though he could be in the squad.
Likewise, Jack Wilshere (ankle) has made a couple of appearances for the reserves, and is in with a chance of making the squad, though Arsene Wenger did state that he will not be rushing the midfielder back.
However, Kieran Gibbs (thigh), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (hip), Abou Diaby (thigh), Tomas Rosicky (Achilles) and Theo Walcott (bruised lung) are all likely to miss out.
For QPR, Fabio could make a comeback from a hamstring injury, but Andy Johnson (knee) and Kieron Dyer (calf) are both absentees.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal have lost three of their last five games in all competitions.
- In both of last season's encounters, the sides were separated by a single goal, with Arsenal winning 1-0 at the Emirates Stadium and QPR winning 2-1 at Loftus Road.
- Mikel Arteta (pictured right) is three appearances away from his 350th career league game.
- The two clubs have played each other in five of the Premier League seasons, with five draws out of the 10 matches.
- QPR have only won once this season, beating Walsall in the League Cup.
- The last time Arsenal lost three times in a row was last season, as they suffered defeats against Fulham, Swansea and Manchester United.
- The Gunners went two games without scoring last season versus Newcastle and Liverpool, the same run they are currently on.
- The longest streak in QPR's history without a win was 20 games between December 1968 and April 1969.
- Between September 1997 and September 1998, the Loftus Road club went 24 games without a win on the road, they are yet to win an away game under Mark Hughes.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 3-0 QPR
- 14.36 %
Arsenal FC 2-0 QPR
- 11.77 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 QPR
- 11.62 %
|Premier League (EPL)||4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Oct 2012||Arsenal FC 1 - QPR 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||31 Mar 2012||QPR 2 - Arsenal FC 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||31 Dec 2011||Arsenal FC 1 - QPR 0|
|19 May 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|14 May 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|28 Apr 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||Fulham 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
The keeper has been under a bit of pressure of late with the limelight thrust firmly upon him in the absence of Szczesny and Fabianski. With Fabianski months away from a return, and Szczesny still a couple of weeks off, he will have to handle the burden by himself for the foreseeable future.
The midfielder has been earning some good reviews of late, but faces a stern test up against a Gunners midfield that will be eager to make amends for two losses on the bounce. How effective he is could well be the barometer of how many points QPR take home from the Emirates.
The Gunners will be looking to keep things quite tight defensively, and dominate possession, while QPR will most likely be sitting back and trying to nick a goal on the break. However, Arsene Wenger's side should be able to break down the barriers put up in front of Julio Cesar, with Mark Hughes' side conceding 17 goals already this season in only eight games.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed