Chelsea - Norwich Preview: Blues look to maintain unbeaten start to Premier League season
The league leaders welcome the Canaries to Stamford Bridge, and are looking to continue their good form from recent weeks against Chris Hughton's team
By Chris Teale
Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole
Mata, Oscar, Hazard
Martin, Bassong, Barnett, Garrido
Snodgrass, Johnson, Howson, Pilkington
The Blues have no new injury worries, so have almost a full-strength squad to select from.
Daniel Sturridge remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, but is well on the way to recovery and should be available in the near future.
For Norwich, both Sebastian Bassong and Anthony Pilkington are recovering from knocks, but should both be available to start the game, while Simon Lappin could be set for a return to the squad, but it is unlikely given his absence was due to ankle ligament damage.
Steven Whittaker looks to be nearing a comeback having picked up ankle ligament damage during a pre-season friendly, but this game will be too soon for him to make an appearance for the Canaries.
Beyond that, the Canaries have no new injury concerns, so have a strong squad available to manager Chris Hughton.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea are one of three teams still unbeaten in the Premier League this season, with Manchester City and Sunderland being the other two.
- In their last 12 games at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League, the Blues have won nine games and lost just one.
- The Blues have won their last five consecutive games in all competitions against Norwich.
- Eden Hazard leads the way in the Premier League assists chart with four so far this season.
- Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand (pictured) had a loan spell with Norwich in 2008, making 56 appearances and being dubbed "Plastic Bertrand" by the Canaries fans in reference to the Belgian singer.
- With three points from their opening six games, Norwich have made their worst start to a Premier League season in their history.
- The Canaries have conceded the most goals from outside the penalty area of all Premier League teams, with five finding their net.
- Norwich lead the fair play charts so far in the Premier League, having picked up only two bookings.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 3-0 Norwich City
- 23.67 %
Chelsea FC 4-0 Norwich City
- 15.43 %
Chelsea FC 3-1 Norwich City
- 9.7 %
|Premier League (EPL)||6 Oct 2013||Norwich City 1 - Chelsea FC 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||26 Dec 2012||Norwich City 0 - Chelsea FC 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||6 Oct 2012||Chelsea FC 4 - Norwich City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Jan 2012||Norwich City 0 - Chelsea FC 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Aug 2011||Chelsea FC 3 - Norwich City 1|
|13 Apr 2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|8 Apr 2014||Chelsea FC 2 - Paris St. Germain (PSG) 0||UCL|
|5 Apr 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|2 Apr 2014||Paris St. Germain (PSG) 3 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|29 Mar 2014||Crystal Palace 1 - Chelsea FC 0||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Hazard has caused havoc among Premier League defences so far this season, and if he is on form in this game the Canaries will have real problems. The Belgian has been a focal point of the Blues' attacking play, and will be crucial once again.
For the Canaries, the aerial threat of Holt will be key if they are to get through Chelsea's defence. The big striker has not hit the heights of last season's form that took him to the cusp of the England squad, but this game would be a superb time to recover.
The Blues have started this season well in the Premier League, while Norwich have struggled somewhat under new manager Chris Hughton. With the attacking resources available to them, Chelsea should take an easy win on home turf.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed