Swansea - Sunderland Preview: Swans look to extend run against a Black Cats side without a Premier League win in eight
New signings Pablo Hernandez and Adam Johnson could both feature on Saturday, as Michael Laudrup's men aim for three points to equal their longest winning streak in the top flight
By Joe Wright
Rangel, Chico, Williams, Taylor
De Guzman, Michu, Britton
Dyer, Graham, Routledge
Brown, Cuellar, Kilgallon, O'Shea
McClean, Cattermole, Gardner, Johnson
Michael Laudrup is unlikely to tinker with a Swansea side which has taken maximum points from their opening two Premier League games without conceding a goal.
Scott Sinclair is likely to have completed a switch to champions Manchester City before Saturday afternoon, leaving Wayne Routledge and Nathan Dyer to continue out wide, with Danny Graham leading the line in attack. New signing Pablo Hernandez could well earn a place on the bench.
Martin O'Neill may well opt for a 4-5-1 system in a bid to stifle the Swans midfield, with Stephane Sessegnon, who has just penned a new three-year deal with the club, likely to start in behind Steven Fletcher. Adam Johnson could be in line to make his Premier League debut for the Black Cats, with Sebastian Larsson set for the bench.
Wes Brown (knee) and David Vaughan (hernia) will not be risked, while Phil Bardsley (ankle) remains sidelined until after the international break.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Swansea have won their last three Premier League matches in a row, losing just one in seven.
- Midfielder Michu (pictured, right) has a perfect shots-to-goals ratio so far this season, having scored three times from three efforts on target.
- The Swans have scored eight goals from just 11 shots on target so far this season
- Despite the season being in its infancy, Michael Laudrup's side will equal their longest winning streak of last season with victory on Saturday.
- The Swans failed to score against the Black Cats in both matches last season - only three other sides managed to shut out the Welsh outfit.
- Sunderland are without a win in their last eight Premier League matches, failing to score in five of those.
- Martin O'Neill's side have only picked up 13 points in their last 15 games.
- Their 2-0 win over Swansea back in January was their only win over the Welsh side in eight attempts.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Swansea City 2-1 Sunderland
- 18.29 %
Swansea City 2-0 Sunderland
- 13.68 %
Swansea City 3-0 Sunderland
- 9.57 %
|Premier League (EPL)||19 Oct 2013||Swansea City 4 - Sunderland 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||29 Jan 2013||Sunderland 0 - Swansea City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||1 Sep 2012||Swansea City 2 - Sunderland 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Jan 2012||Sunderland 2 - Swansea City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||27 Aug 2011||Swansea City 0 - Sunderland 0|
|4 Dec 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|1 Dec 2013||Manchester City 3 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|28 Nov 2013||Swansea City 0 - Valencia 1||EL|
|23 Nov 2013||Fulham 1 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|10 Nov 2013||Swansea City 3 - Stoke City 3||EPL|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|