Germany - Greece Preview: Joachim Low's side look to extend winning run against Greeks
The Mannschaft have never lost a European Championship quarter-final and will be confident of keeping that record intact against Fernando Santos' surprise packages
By Karthick Arvinth
Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm
Muller, Ozil, Podolski
To'sidis, Pa'poulos, K Pa'poulos, Tzavelas
Salpingidis, Fotakis, Samaras
Germany have no fitness concerns ahead of their quarter-final clash with Greece in Gdansk on Friday.
Defender Jerome Boateng is available after serving a one-match ban and is set to take over from Lars Bender at right-back, in what is likely to be the only change to the side that beat Denmark 2-1 on Sunday.
Greece coach Fernando Santos will be without captain Giorgos Karagounis and Jose Holebas, who are both suspended, while goalkeeper Kostas Chalkias is unlikely to recover from his hamstring injury in time.
Parma-bound playmaker Sotiris Ninis could be drafted in to replace Karagounis, or, alternatively, Santos may opt for the more experienced Giorgos Fotakis.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Germany have won their last 14 competitive international fixtures, a national record.
- The Mannschaft have never lost to Greece. Their record in eight previous head-to-head meetings is W5, D3.
- The Germans are competing in their fifth European championship quarter-final and have gone on to reach the final on each previous occasion.
- Holger Badstuber (pictured right) is a yellow card away from suspension.
- Greece have scored just once in each of their last eight games, winning just twice during that sequence.
- The Hellenic outfit have scored in 21 of the 24 matches under Fernando Santos - the exceptions all ended as goalless draws.
- Greece's only quarter-final appearance at a major tournament was the 1-0 triumph over France at Euro 2004, a competition they went on to win.
- Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Dimitris Salpingidis and Vasilis Torosidis will incur a ban with their next bookings.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Germany 2-0 Greece
- 23.01 %
Germany 3-0 Greece
- 17.25 %
Germany 3-1 Greece
- 9.2 %
|Euro 2012 (EC)||22 Jun 2012||Germany 4 - Greece 2|
|26 Mar 2013||Germany 4 - Kazakhstan 1||WCQE|
|22 Mar 2013||Kazakhstan 0 - Germany 3||WCQE|
|6 Feb 2013||France 1 - Germany 2||FR|
|14 Nov 2012||Netherlands 0 - Germany 0||FR|
|16 Oct 2012||Germany 4 - Sweden 4||WCQE|
|Returns:||Germany £13.33||Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Returns:||Draw £560.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Greece £560.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed