Brazil - New Zealand Preview: Menezes' side looking for a point to win Group C
Neil Emblen's team are winless in their last five at the Olympics and need three points to have any chance of reaching the last eight against the tournament favourites
By Simon Sinclair
Rafael, Silva, Juan, Marcelo
Pato, Neymar, Hulk
Payne, Smith, Nelsen, Hogg
Barbarouses, Thomas, McGlinchey, Rojas
After booking their place in the quarter-finals, Brazil coach Mano Menezes could rest certain players look for freshen up his squad ahead of the next round. Leandro Damaio and Lucas Moura, among others, are pushing for a recall to the starting XI.
Neil Emblen will also want to keep an air of familiarity about his team following their 1-1 draw with Egypt last time out. Chris Wood will continue to lead the line partnered by Shane Smeltz although defender James Musa and midfielder Cameron Howieson could feature for the Kiwis.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Following their victory over Belarus on Sunday, Brazil have qualified for the quarter-finals of the tournament.
- Only Mano Menezes' side and Japan have a 100 per cent record after two games.
- The Brazilians need only one point to go through to the last eight as winners of Group C.
- In the three meetings between the two sides Brazil have recorded a victory in each game.
- New Zealand are yet to win a game in the Olympics. A run that has stretched over five games and two tournaments.
- West Brom striker Chris Wood (pictured right) is the All Whites sole goalscorer in the tournament after finding the net in their 1-1 draw with Egypt on Sunday.
- Five of Neil Emblen's squad ply their trade for English clubs.
- New Zealand need to beat Brazil in order to have any chance of progressing from the group stages of the competition.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Brazil Under 23 3-0 New Zealand Under 23
- 21.55 %
Brazil Under 23 4-0 New Zealand Under 23
- 12.47 %
Brazil Under 23 3-1 New Zealand Under 23
- 11.97 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||1 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 3 - New Zealand Under 23 0|
|Olympic Games (OLY)||10 Aug 2008||New Zealand Under 23 0 - Brazil Under 23 5|
|Brazil Under 23|
|11 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 1 - Mexico U-23 2||OLY|
|7 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 3 - South Korea Under 23 0||OLY|
|4 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 3 - Honduras Under 23 2||OLY|
|1 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 3 - New Zealand Under 23 0||OLY|
|29 Jul 2012||Brazil Under 23 3 - Belarus U-23 1||OLY|