Mexico - Gabon Preview: Both sides looking for first win after being held in their Olympic openers
All four teams sit level on a single point in Group B after the first round of games so The Panthers and El Tricolor must avoid defeat to stay in with a chance of progressing
By Husmukh Kerai
Jose de Jesus Corona
Jimenez , Reyes, Mier, Chavez
Salcido, Herrera, Aquino, Ponce
Dos Santos, Fabian
Dinda, Ndong, Engonga, Ndoumbou
Madina, Tandjigora, Bouaaoughou, Obiang
All of Mexico's players in coach Luis Fernando Tena's squad are home based apart from Tottenham midfielder Giovani Dos Santos.
Former Fulham and PSV defender Carlos Salcido is one of Mexico's over-aged players and will provide much needed top-flight experience to the youthful side.
Gabon are reigning Confederation of African Football Under-23 champions and are making their debut at the Olympic Games.
Goalkeeper Didier Ovono, FC Lorient’s defender Bruno Ecuele Manga and Charly Moussono of Missile FC are the three over-aged players selected by coach Claude Mbourounot.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Gabon are making their first ever appearance at the Olympic Games.
- The Panthers made it past African heavyweights Ivory Coast, Senegal and Morocco on their way to their CAF under-23 triumph.
- Emmanuel Ndong Mba is the only player to score more than a single goal in Gabon's qualifying campaign.
- Former Fulham player Carlos Salcido (pictured right) is Mexico's most experienced player with 103 international appearances to his name.
- The majority of Luis Fernando Tena's 18-man squad is made up from Chivas de Guadalajara players.
- Mexico beat Honduras in the final of the Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Mexico hosted their very own Olympic Games in 1968.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Mexico U-23 2-0 Gabon U-23
- 24.71 %
Mexico U-23 2-1 Gabon U-23
- 18.82 %
Mexico U-23 3-0 Gabon U-23
- 12.35 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||29 Jul 2012||Mexico U-23 2 - Gabon U-23 0|
|11 Aug 2012||Brazil Under 23 1 - Mexico U-23 2||OLY|
|7 Aug 2012||Mexico U-23 3 - Japan Under 23 1||OLY|
|4 Aug 2012||Mexico U-23 4 - Senegal U-23 2||OLY|
|1 Aug 2012||Mexico U-23 1 - Switzerland U-23 0||OLY|
|29 Jul 2012||Mexico U-23 2 - Gabon U-23 0||OLY|
|10||Giovani dos Santos||Striker|
|14||Lévy Clément Madinda||Midfielder|
|-||Landry Jerry Obiang Obiang||Midfielder|
|-||Axel Méyé Me Ndong||Striker|
|-||Stevy Guevane Nzambè||Defender|
|-||André Biyogho Poko||Midfielder|
|Giovani dos Santos|
As defending CAF Under-23 champions this Gabon side has a nucleus of players who know how to play as a unit and they may give the Mexicans plenty to think about. Tena's side were outplayed for large periods of the match against South Korea and were fortunate to leave with a point, they will need improve significantly in their next two games.